R12 Topping Off

Page 2 of 2

There should be a tag on the compressor, if it's still original, showing the factory charge, or possibly on the receiver/dryer. If it has been converted by a shop there should be a label somewhere showing that as well.
On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Spiderman wrote:

...because it's got the GM R4 compressor that loses shaft seals on a regular basis.
R12 is available, but expensive, and top-up charges will not last. You will very quickly spend a lot more in R12 (to say nothing of tools and manuals to put it in properly) than to fix the problem correctly.
-Stern
Back when 12 or 14 ounce cans of R12 were less than $2 each and nobody worried about the ozone layer I would add refrigerant until it started blowing cool air and then add one more can.
Spiderman wrote:

--

When replying by Email include NewSGrouP (case sensitive) in Subject

Mike Walsh

Just out of curiosity, how much are you going to pay for a can of R12 ? Your gauges should read somewhere around 30 on the low, 250 on the high at high idle. This all depends on the temp outside and the condition of the compressor and the rest of the system. Feel the outlet (large) tube from the evap to see ifs it cold, it will be when its full (if everything is good). If for instance the expansion tube is plugged, you will probably blow up a high side line while trying to get it cold. If it doesnt start to cool after one can, be afraid :)Again, how much are you going to pay for a can of R12?
Around $20/can... I figure if it lasts the season then that aint too bad!

Where the hell are you getting R-12 for $20/can? Dreamland?
Bruce Chang wrote:

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Bruce Chang wrote:

$10 to $25/can is the going rate.
-Stern

That's dirt cheap.. why are so many people recommending everyone convert to R134a if R12 is that cheap. Sounds kinda silly to me.

Show me a legitimate source where I can buy R-12 (in the US) for $10 a can and I'd gladly pay you a nice finders fee. Bob

Most Ebay sellers that sell R12 are legitimate. Just about all of them require you supply a copy of your EPA card before they will ship it this is right in the description. And also these days a lot of brick-and-mortar stores are selling on Ebay and more and more are signing on every day. Where have you been?
Ted
Just to throw my 2cents in...in Austin at A-Line Auto parts a 12 ounce can goes for $44.95/can. You have to have an IMAC (?) license and a city license as well to purchase it. I'm not a mechanic, I just called to see what the cost and licensing requirements were for fun...OUCH!!! $45 a can? Wow! I think I heard that in Mexico it's a BUNCH cheaper...go figure.

On 4 Jun 2004 07:46:27 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@activant.com (Don in Austin Texas) wrote:

Recycled, reclaimed, possibly amonia or who knows what else. I really doubt you are getting virgin R12 south of the border. The last 30# cylinder I purchased was around $700 US, if I remember correctly.
I am starting to get the feeling I need better security on my shop... I have at last count 4 30 pound and 2 50 pound tanks of R-12 on hand. I also know where I can get a partial (has about 26# in it) for 50 bucks.
--
Steve Williams

"pool" < snipped-for-privacy@deepblue.com> wrote in message

Don't worry too much since the price of R-12 is slowly dropping. If you can sell/use it to service your customers you better do it soon since the window for maximum profit is closing with all the cheap "drop-ins" and 134A conversions. And, yes, you can get virgin R-12 South of the border for $2.00 a pound.
Rita

either. Like I said, if I could find some for that price I'd be all over it. From what I've seen you would be lucky to buy it for twice that. Bob

You aren't looking very hard then.
Here's a $15 can that didn't get sold:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item $78959794&categoryF094
Here's a $15 can that did get sold:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item $78959584&categoryF094
here's another:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item $79006246&categoryF094
Here's 2 cans that went for $22 for the set:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item $79102481&categoryF094
Also, if you wait for the wintertime, the stuff gets a lot cheaper on Ebay.
Keep in mind that when the EPA announced they were going to prohibit OTC sales of R12, the stuff was selling for something like $4.95 a can, and a whole lot of people figured the stuff would shoot up to 10-20 times this price, so a whole lot of people ran out and bought cases of the stuff from the local auto parts places and stuck them in the back of the garage, expecting to make a killing.
Then later on when those people had A/C in cars that failed, they tried bringing in their cans to the A/C places and found the A/C shops wouldn't fix their vehicles unless they used their own freon. So the stuff sat.
Now the stuff is almost worthless because the DIY'ers are buying Freeze 12 over the counter and the A/C places want to buy R12 in tanks, and don't give a crap about the cost since they just pass the cost on to their customers. Every summer it's the same thing - as soon as it starts getting hot for a few months then the R12 can sales pick up on Ebay for a while, then after the hot season the market slumps again.
Ted

I bought a 12oz, (size?), for $18 and change at Checker Auto a while back! Greg