Radar Detectors

Hey! Sorry to post a topic that isn't really typical in this group but everyone everywhere else just gets into agruments and never comes to a conclusion...

1) Are radar detectors legal? I've heard having one is totally legal due to the fact that you can get one at your local Radio Shack or electronic boutique. However, being pulled over and getting caught having one will get you into some trouble? Is this so?

2) Are they worth it? Can you get ones that are so amazing that you never get caught speeding? If so what are some good brands? Also, are there brands that you can get for relatively cheap that work just as good as the high-end models? Again: if so, what brands?

Like I said, sorry to ask this question in this group but you guys sure know a lot more than any other groups and I trust you guys way more than any others. Thanks for the help!

In Christ Alone

Reply to
jesusfreak_ace

Only where posted. I think VA and DC are the only places where it's written in law books to be illegal. Unless in one of those 2 locations, you cannot be cited for having one. And even in those 2 locations, you can own one but can't have it in your vehicle in a location where you could potentially use it easily while still in motion, so you could put it in the trunk.

They're also illegal in Canada, in the province of Quebec anyway...

I've heard good things about the Valentine 1, but also good things about Escort.

I have a Beltronics and probably wouldn't get one again, not because it doesn't pick up signals (it does that very well actually) but because the power kept cutting out and the unit sometimes locked up causing it to be ineffective. This started while it was under warranty and they tried to say it was my vehicle and wouldn't cover it. I think it's a bad solder joint but I can't get the darn thing open to try and fix it.

Reply to
Mike Levy

It depends on the state your in and what your driving as to legality. Just because you can buy it easily doesn't matter.

Some are better than others. How effective they are depends on what detection device your up against. You get what you pay for. Personally I just obey the laws or just maintain my position in traffic.

Reply to
Steve W.

I use an escort in my Silverado. In my bedroom community, the speed limit is 30, 40, 45 and 55 all along the same route. Mostly 30 everywhere else. I don't intend to speed, just don't want to get caught driving 40 in a 30 while day dreaming. The escort has been good and picks up all 4 bands. There are a couple states that they are illegal in, but I don't know which. Use google.

Karl

Reply to
Skylark

it's legal in 48 states, i think the only two it isn't legal in is california and vermont. the cops usually just look at it really quick, i've been pulled by a cop who tried to get me for speeding but saw that and only could get me for driving too fast for conditions, which failed in court

the only ticket speeding ticket i've ever gotten was in a friend's truck who used a whistler which was crap, low quiet tones for cop bands but high load tones for security, i personally use a 6 band cobra which i would not give up for the world. thing has flown out of a window onto the ground, into a puddle, and has been run over,(i know i have my windows down too much and those suction cups aren't the best) and still works like the day i bought it. i love my cobra 6 band radar detector.

Reply to
Robert Cooke

Valentine One. Hands down the best, been using detectors since the original Fuzz Buster came out in the '70's. I drive to do home service calls and a great detector is a must with all the "Barney Fife'' speed traps I encounter.

Reply to
Repairman

WWJD?

Reply to
George

Oh, ok? So you're saying that just because I'm a Christian that means I can't buy/be interested in a radar detector? Did I SAY I was looking for a radar detector so that I could speed through town and hit little old ladies and not worry about getting caught? No. You have no reason to assume anything there, George. I simply asked my friends on this Group what they knew about radar detectors. God Bless you, George : )

In Christ Alone

Reply to
jesusfreak_ace

Didn't Jesus have 'flowing robes'? (Hint, hint).

He would be on the loudest Harley if he was around today...

Reply to
Bill