radiator repair

97 5.7 z-71 The radiator has a crack just below the upper hose nipple and just above the cooler line .Can this be repaired and how. About how much for a new radiator..part only thanks Gary
Reply to
Gary

If the radiator is plastic, like I think it would be....forget it.....If its metal than you can JB weld it or solder it with acid core solder and a small torch.

Reply to
Adam

will deliver to your house cheaper than most. i patched several radiator cracks with good "epoxy" and run them for years. old john

Reply to
<ajeeperman

I had this problem a few years ago whilst living in rural Mississippi. I took my Burb to a radiator shop in West Point, MS expecting to get gouged. Surprisingly, they had a machine which can remove the plastic tank from the radiator and then crimp on a new one. I think the charge was around $25 in

2002. Don't toss a good radiator for a cracked plastic tank.

Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

This is a good plan. Also try running a lower pressure cap after repair to reduce the chance of a future occurance. Contray to popular belief, you do not need a 16 PSI cap on your truck as I have been running 7 PSI to 9 PSI caps for over 15 years now on several vehicles and some have seen 105 plus degree temps in Colorado and Nebraska plains in summer while keepig us cool inside and never even cam close to even thinking about overheating. I started using them when I had the top tank split at the seam on a old jeep truck 15 years ago on a hot day and been using them since on new and ol;d vehicles and I have not even lost a hose since then and my 89 burb with 176K miles still has original hoses and they show no signs of weakening yet.

Reply to
SnoMan