Radio Controls or airbag??

My wife has a 2001 Suburban and the antenna recently broke off. I thought that this should be real easy to replace, but was wrong as they have redesigned the whole thing.

I bought a new base and antenna. It looks like the wire comes through the firewall behind the glovebox and the airbag. When I drop the glovebox down there is a silver box behind it that needs to be removed to get to the antenna cable. I am confident that this box is for the radio and has nothing to do with the airbag, but I wanted to find out for sure before I began removing it.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about this?

Thanks!

Reply to
Ratcliff