Re: 1985 S10 Blazer 4WD questions

Zulummar wrote:

You have lots of options at this point. There is the option of swapping in a 3.1 or 3.4 motor (my understanding is that the 3.1 is virtually plug and play). If you move to something else, you also have to change the transmission. 4.3 = new transmission If you are going the extra distance to do the 4.3, you can put a 350 small block in with not much more effort. No modification to engine well needed for either 4.3 or 350. 350 and 4.3 will also require new hoses and radiator, as if my memory serves me correct, the hook-ups are on the opposite sides. New shocks for sure up front with a 350, though with the motor out it's a piece of cake to change them. Explore your options at http://www.s-seriesforum.com/forum/ and http://forums.s-series.org/ Both are outstanding resources for anything related to the S-series. If you are thinking about anything, 99% likelyhood somebody on one of those two forums has done it and can tell you all the tricks and what to avoid.
Big Chris
I would suggest that you look for a late 88 or 89. As they have the 4.3 which is a better engine than the 2.8. With the 4 wheel drive the truck is so heavy that the 2.8 is way underpowered. The 4.3 is also a 4 bolt main engine. I have an 88 with almost 250,000 miles on it and its still going.

I bought a 1987 S10 Blazer with a 2.8L V6 for my daughter when she was in college (43,000+ miles on it). It now has 210,000+ miles on it and the engine is going strong. The only major repair was a tranny overhaul at about 190,000 miles because my SIL messed with it and screwed it up. This vehicle does not get babied by any means and is regularly driven on long (over1000 miles) trips up and down the East coast. The only regular care this vehicle gets is oil and filter changes (and chassis lubes). I think it depends on the owner (or someone like me to make sure it gets serviced when it needs it). I've seen quite a few of these same vehicles with the 2.8L go for many more miles than people predicted.
****************************************** I would rather be exposed to the inconveninces attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~
I had a 86 S-10 with a 2.8l that was just rebuild and i put over 75000 miles my rear main seal started to leek after i played with the tranny they sell a repair sleave that i put on with a new seal and never had a problem again

Big Chris wrote:

This site has more info for the 4x4 type of mentality. Unless having your frame an inch of the pavment is your thing.
http://pub154.ezboard.com/fs10extremistsfrm18

Lol, not really my thing, no :) I bought this instead of a cavalier sedan (had a 93 cav a few years ago and loved it) because I wanted something to take up to the mountains and play with :)

that's still runs great and rebuilt about 50,000 miles ago. The only problems I had was everything hooked to the 2.8 gave me problems, i.e. carb., dist., fuel pump, etc. If you live near Frederick Maryland, it's yours if you want it. Still runs great and I will not go back to a 2.8 after driving the 4.3. All you have to do is put your oil pan on it for it to go right in. Wayne

Thanks for the offer, but I live on the completely opposite coast... Oregon :)
I put over 400,000 km on a 2.8 before it went bad so don't belive it all
Zulummar wrote:

Well, as I understand it, it's not so much the motor that's the problem... from what I've been told, they didn't do that bad in the 2WD S10 Blazers, but the added weight of the 4WD is just too much for the little things...

bulloney
I put the 400,00 k on a 4x4 extra cab
DJ Hatt wrote:

Oh, I'm not arguing that they're good trucks, I know they are, that's why I bought mine... I'm just relaying what I've been told about the engines on them... the more I hear, the more it seems like some of them had no problems at all, while others had nothing but problems... I don't yet know which mine is going to turn out to be, other than knowing it's in right now getting a new rear main seal. I'm just planning on swapping out the 2.8L for a 3.4L as a project, and because I want a little extra power :)
Now the only thing I have to decide is whether I want to go from 2.8L carb to 3.4L carb, or convert to some flavor of fuel injection...

I'd say that depends on how deep your pockets are. IMHO, on my truck at least, the carb was the weak spot. The ol' lady's '89 Blazer was a TBI, and it got better mileage than my carbed pickup even though it was heavier.. -- Old Crow '82 FLTC 92" Shovel 'Pearl' TOMKAT, SENS, BS#133, DOF#51, MAMBM ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 Chevy Certified Master Tech
Drove my 1986 for 150K hard miles with tons of light off road use bird hunting and only had normal repair items required on it... sold it for Chevy Astro and put 180K on that V6. Keep the truck but do the maintenance.