Re: 1990 chevy slilerado w/350 funs hot

When I start it up the temp quickly jumps to 210 - 220 then I stays in

> that range. I let the engine cool and then took the cap off and the > fluid level in the radiator and the holding tank were both fine. I > started the engine let it run for a while. When it got hot it would > periodically shoot water out of the radiator. What direction should I > look in to correct this problem.

Water boils at 212 degrees. Add a 50/50 mix of anti freeze and we get

223. Add 14-15 lbs of pressure and we get another 45 degrees before boil. Your trucks stock thermostat is 192 degrees. Yes there are lower temps, but you fuel system will never go into closed loop and your fuel mileage will drop like rock, sorta like driving with the choke on all the time. (yes I know there are times when fuel systems go open loop normally, like when you put your foot in it) 210 to 220 is not out of range for your vehicle So questions How fast does it jump to 210, and are we talking from stone cold? Has anything been changed just before this started happening? IE water pump, hose, etc. (thinking air pocket) Is the area between the radiator and ac condenser clean of debris? Is the fan shroud intact? How old is the fan clutch? How old is the water pump(seen impellers worn to nothing and no leak) and the last thing is get some test strips. NAPA p/n FIL4106 I think is the correct one and check for hydrocarbons. Or you can get a test done on a sample taken and sent in through NAPA If there is a truck stop in your area you can get test strips there as well.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Did you just change something, like a hose or the coolant? Sounds like you have air in the system or a sticking thermostat.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Both of my GM truck has 190?s in them and they never see above 210 even on the hottest days and one as never seen 210 even when towing in

95 degree heat and in traffic with A/C on (I never roll the windows down and A/C is always on if I am not using heat) He could have a bad sending unit too and he might check tempature manually.
Reply to
SnoMan

That's funny because my 87 ran at 210, and the 91 runs at 210, and has hit

220 towing, and the new '03 lear runs just above the center mark(I hate gauges that don't have numbers) but I would estimate by past experiences its running about 210 as well as the cooling fans don't come on until 212 degrees.. I hate the heat, so if its above 75 degrees outside the AC is on, which means 9-10 months out of the year steady where I live.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Today I drove it for a while and then let it idle with the ac on and the gquge went higher. Then I got in it and drove a little and the gauge cameback down the210 215 range. The radiator and the water pump look new I will get hold of the person I bought it from and see if they were changed. I will also replace the thermostat and belch the system and see if that helps. Thanks

Reply to
2fat2old2slo

Is the cooling fan clutch engaging at a idle or at speed when engine temp reaches 210 and above?

Reply to
SnoMan