Re: 1997 A/C is intermitant...help requested.

I had a similar problem on my R-12 equipped 94 Jimmy. Replaced the low pressure switch and it's worked 100% of the time since I replaced it, except when the fuel pump died. Part was around $20 at a dealer
and I was able to replace it myself without evacuating the freon. Dunno if yours is the exact same thing, but it would be a cheap place to start. Here's a good test for the switch, when the system stops working pull the plug and short the 2 contacts on the plug, not the switch, with a piece of wire, if the compressor comes on, the switch is bad. Mine was located in the accumulator, dunno if yours is the same.

I just got finished with playing with this system. I too have come to the conclusion its the pressure switch. I can start up the AC watch the clutch on the compressor kick in, and everything works. Then it will click off, and just a jiggle of the plug on the LP cutoff switch is enough to get it going again. I also used a jumper and it will just keep runnning and running and running. Compressor etc all sound fine, but I did manage to add a small amount of freon, hope tht does not hurt anythng, but its getting super cold now, just like when new. MAybe it was a bit low, but I do honestly thnk its that switch on the accumulator.
Thanks for your input Regards
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:27:32 GMT, Mike Levy

-- Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address