Re: 1998 S-10 Blazer fuel pump replacement

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 21:45:53 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Well if the pump is in the tank is there any other way? I had to pull the pump out of my former 88 Dodge Dakota because I was getting low fuel pressure at the throttle body inlet. Tank had to come down pulled the pump assembly out and here there was a neoprene hose coming from the pump to the hose manifold that had a small split in it allowing pumped gas right back into the tank. I replaced the pump none the less since I had that crap out. Not knowing your vehicle but assuming it's similar it's really not that much of a bitch to replace with the right tools and maybe a helper for the tank (hopefully there isn't much fuel in it)
Since it appears that replacing the fuel pump is a major job, you may want to make sure there is power to the pump by using a voltmeter. There is a inertial switch that operates when the vehicle experiences a sharp horizontal bump. This switch can be easily reset.
Good luck, Charlie

There is no inertia switch on a GM truck like yours, the previous poster is misinformed. Inertia switches are a "Ford" thing.
Also, you'd be better off using a large lamp such as a sealed beam headlamp if testing for power at the pump, a voltmeter will be misleading.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Drop the tank, remove the line connections (3) and remove the retainer ring (after cleaning all the crud away) swap the pump module. Reinstall the ring and lines. Bolt the tank back in CAREFULLY, you need to tighten the retaining straps evenly to avoid pushing the tank bottom up into the pump. If you want a better price check RockAuto.com They also have a LOT more variety in pumps than most places.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York