Re: 1999 Chevy Blazer LT Low oil pressure Engine Damage?

It sounds like you got anti freeze in the oil. If you hear a tapping in the bottom of the engine your going to spin a bearing. Sounds like the new engine had a bad gasket.

Ok quick question for you guys. I have had this blazer since it was > brand new. The oil pressure at idle was usually around 40 after it > warmed up, slightly higher under acceleration. The truck now has > 92,xxx miles on it and just recently the engine was completely > replaced due to a faulty crank shaft. After I got the truck back from > the dealer I drove it for less than 300 miles. One night while > driving it I noticed steam coming from the driver side headlight. I > popped the hood to find that the radiator hose had popped off. I > thought this was odd, but decided to reclamp it and replace the lost > anti-freeze. The engine never redlined , but the oil pressure is now > 20 at idle. The dealer swore that the problem was just a bad > radiator hose and replaced it. After I picked it up and drove it to > work (10 miles) it began leaking anti-freeze all over the place. > After inspecting the engine bay there is anti-freeze all over the > engine, battery, etc.. All hoses are still connected. My major > concern is not the anti-freeze but the oil pressure, which is still at > 20 when idle and 40 tops under accelation. Because this is a new > engine I want to make sure that it was installed properly. Any > thoughts? The dealer currently has the vehicle for the second time.
Reply to
jk

i agree ....... sounds like antifreeze in the oil... most likely a blown head gasket or leaking intake gasket. More than likely you got a rebuilt longblock "GM crate engine"... where they used your intake and other parts to put on an assembled block with cylinder heads... all other misc parts were used off your old engine. I would suspect the a head gasket issue which the shop can find or an intake leak whcih also the shop can find too. Has the dealer explained the last issue with the oil pressure and coolant?

I would want the dealership to verify and put on the service ticket that they did a full cooling system pressure test and also a full compression test.... document this on the service ticket you get.

K>It sounds like you got anti freeze in the oil. If you hear a tapping in the

Reply to
Elbert Clarke