Re: 700r4

I have a 96 tahoe with I believe the 700r4 and I have heard that it

> isn't a good tranny to tow with. I keep hearing about over heating > problems. I am planning on putting a transmission cooler on it other > than the radiator one. Also I have heard to never tow in overdrive. > Are there any other problems I should plan on having?

As you state, an aftermarket tranny cooler will save your transmission, and add many miles to it's life. And also as you mention, overdrive towing is strictly forbidden. The 700r4 is not a bad transmission, you just have to know it's limitations. Also, if you do a lot of aftermarket improvement to your engine, you'll want to beef up the 700r4, as there is a limit to the HP it is rated for. If you are towing a lot, changing the filter/fluid will also help extend the tranny life. But the cooler and not towing anything in overdrive will do more for you than anything else. You can also get aftermarket chips for your vehicle that'll modify when/how it shifts to accommodate towing as well.

Big Chris

Reply to
Big Chris

a 96 has the 4L60E

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Reply to
seeray

Ok I am going to have to check the glove box to check as to which one I have. When I asked the gm mechanic he told me the 700r4. Hell I might have the 4l60E as gary said. so what do I need to worry about if it is the

Reply to
sidewinder

Reply to
seeray

you remember wrong

the 4L60E apply's/ releases are EXACTLY like the 700R4

the newer 4T60E, is a non-synchronous as opposed to the 4T60/440T4

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

no problem

the newer 4T60E's are analogous to the Ferd AX4N............ustilizing a one-way clutch in the low drum to over-run in third, instead of having to do a 1-2 band release simultaneously with a 3rd clutch apply

makes for smoother upshifts and ass-kicking kick-downs

seen the info on the new Ford truck transmission ?

they took the E4OD, or 4R100 as its called now, and used a simple,

8-solenoid shift body, to make it a 6-speed

as Cartmans says 'KICK ASS !"

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer