Re: 700r4

sidewinder wrote:

As you state, an aftermarket tranny cooler will save your transmission, and add many miles to it's life. And also as you mention, overdrive towing is strictly forbidden. The 700r4 is not a bad transmission, you just have to know it's limitations. Also, if you do a lot of aftermarket improvement to your engine, you'll want to beef up the 700r4, as there is a limit to the HP it is rated for. If you are towing a lot, changing the filter/fluid will also help extend the tranny life. But the cooler and not towing anything in overdrive will do more for you than anything else. You can also get aftermarket chips for your vehicle that'll modify when/how it shifts to accommodate towing as well.
Big Chris
a 96 has the 4L60E

and
HP
in
get the biggest tranny cooler that will fit inbetween the headlights of your truck. Keep it out of over drive when towing and you will be fine

am
one.
Ok I am going to have to check the glove box to check as to which one I have. When I asked the gm mechanic he told me the 700r4. Hell I might have the 4l60E as gary said. so what do I need to worry about if it is the 4l60E?

isn't
problems
The tranny cooler doesnt care what type of tranny you have. By the way, you have the electronic 700r4, aka 4l60E

radiator
you remember wrong
the 4L60E apply's/ releases are EXACTLY like the 700R4
the newer 4T60E, is a non-synchronous as opposed to the 4T60/440T4

it
no problem
the newer 4T60E's are analogous to the Ferd AX4N............ustilizing a one-way clutch in the low drum to over-run in third, instead of having to do a 1-2 band release simultaneously with a 3rd clutch apply
makes for smoother upshifts and ass-kicking kick-downs
seen the info on the new Ford truck transmission ?
they took the E4OD, or 4R100 as its called now, and used a simple, 8-solenoid shift body, to make it a 6-speed
as Cartmans says 'KICK ASS !"

that