Re: '92 S-10 blazer spewing oil

> My truck has started spewing oil the last couple days. Oil light comes > on, i added a quart (all I had but figured it was enough to get me to > the store) and in less then 10 miles the light came on again. I got it > home, got underneath 'er trying to locate the source and saw a ton of > oil dripping off towards the back of the engine. I put another quart in, > started her up, and like a faucet was turned on all the oil started > pouring out. Just in front of the oil pan is this round silver part > (attached photo) with 2 bolts in it. That appears to be where the oil is > coming from. Can anyone identify this part for me? Oil Pump? Forgive my > ignorance, I am engine-challenged. Any insight is appreciated. Oh, the > engine is a stock V-6. Thanks in Advance!! > > -Tim

In order to fit the 4.3 V-6 into the S-10 frame (made for the

2.8V6), the oil filter had to be moved. What you see in the pic is the adapter that fits where the filter would have been. The adapter has 2 hoses that go to/from the "remote" oil filter behind the left headlight. The hoses are a known frequent source of failure where the metal fittings are crimped to the rubber, although it could be the adapter itself that is leaking.

When this hose on my 94 started leaking, it cost me $218 parts & labor to have hoses and seals replaced at indy shop. If yours is adapter only leaking at its seal to block, should cost less to replace seals only.

--Reed

Reply to
Reed

Has anyone replaced the gasket down at the block before? I had my hoses replaced with a new design about 150K ago and it's leaking again but not from the hoses.

It looks impossible to get to. The Chilton manual shows nothing about it.

LS

Reply to
LS

Just had to pull a set of remote oil lines for my 91 S-10 from the local self-service junk yard a few days ago (20 bucks) One of the crimped fittings began leaking while 500 miles from home...Freaked me out until I realized it was just oozing a bit and not a major leak

seems like removing the fan shroud, the two PS hoses, the engine mount thru bolt and raising the engine on a jack will make it fairly easy to swap them this week...

Reply to
Flakey714