Re: A/C... bad bearing or compressor?

Bearing if its WHIRRR at all times (clutch bearing) You have a bad compressor. Replace it NOW If you wait and it may have already done so, it will pack the condenser with
compressor trash and it cannot be flushed out. You have to replace the condenser too.
: '94 c1500 extended cab. The a/c was ran for a couple of times a month in : the winter, and on a semi daily basis in the summer (now). Problem is : that when you hit the a/c button you can hear the system click on, and : then it begins to 'whirr' loudly enough to hear in the cab, and the : whirr also follows the engine rpms. The air coming out is only slightly : cooler than vent air. I was thinking maybe a bearing went bad, others : are telling me it's the compressor that needs to be replaced. : : Any tips or tricks on how to figure out which one it is? My Haynes book : only goes into detail on removal/replacement of the compressor. Thanks : for any info. : : : -- : : '88 Honda CBR600F : '90 Chevy Z71 Sportside : '76 Honda XL175 : : MSN: Tzihuac : AIM: JokeHeros :
Gary Glaenzer wrote:

I doublechecked, it's r134a, so when the money appears I'm gonna pick up some a/c tools/recharge kit. In the meantime the truck isn't being used. So the whirring racket, is that a byproduct of a system that needs to be recharged? My brother tells me he opened the hood and had to wipe some wierd powder off the compressor one time... could that be a sign of leakage or just coincidence? thanks again.
--

'88 Honda CBR600F
'90 Chevy Z71 Sportside