Re: A/C question

Page 1 of 3

Impossible. All vehicles sold in the US since 1993 use R134a. Either your truck is older, or you are mistaken as to the refrigerant.

A shop that does not possess recovery equippment is not qualified to do A/C repairs. Also, it cannot legally attempt refrigeration system repairs. It can do electrical A/C work.

This means that they are smart enough to stay away from work that they are not qualified to do.

That is one possibility. There are others.

You can do whatever you wish. I'd suggest that you find a shop that knows how to do A/C work. For what it's worth, the low-pressure switch should be mounted on a Schrader valve, and would not require discharging the system for replacement. A competent A/C shop would know this.

Cold air costs money. How comfortable can you afford to be?
not true the switch was made in 93 and 94 some vehicles are old some are new
Call your local parts store and make up a vehicle. Say you want a price on a condenser for a 1994 whatever machine. The next question out of their mouth is going to be "is it r12 or r134a?"
--
Steve
=======================

Hardly. As it is sunday evening, no local parts stores are open. So, I went to the Auto Zone web site and looked up a condenser for a 1994 Jeep Wrangler. At no point did they ask about R-12.
Go ahead and make something else up. I've got time.
Autozone!! I said a parts store. Not a fokkin joke house. What a needledick.
--
Steve
=======================

Typical invective, as expected from one who has no logical argument.

Why the interest in my penis? You're a little light in the loafers? Don't waste your time. I'm hetro.
The condenser is really about the only part that IS different. No bonus points. The accumulators are the same. At least the aftermarket replacements anyway, and that is what we are talking about.
--
Steve
=======================

Actually, many OEMs began using barrier hoses before the switch to R-134a. I'd be surprised if any of the MY 1994 vehicles in question here didn't have barrier hoses right from the factory.

That may well be, but "barrier" hoses were developed to prevent the migration of R-134a through the walls of the hose, which wasn't a problem with R12. Dave

Well I didn't spell it wrong, so here goes...
"Barrier" like in 'barricade.' Something that would stop movement of something else. The R-134a molecule is fairly small, normal AC hoses have been known to allow R-134a to escape right thru the rubber, much the same as how a Helium filled baloon deflates over time because the Helium molecule can slip past the rubber molecules. If you actually have the experience you claim, the term "barrier" hose should not be unfamiliar.
"MY" = Model Year.

Oooops... ignore the snide remark about "experience" in my other reply to this post, major brain fart on my part thinking I was responding to Squealwheel.

And your excuse for failing to read the From: line is what? Barking Steve is not me. Get a clue, oh pompous ass.
Why bother with a steelwheel when you can have aluminum?

Because self important half-wits pretending to be something they're not are a source of entertainment.

Ohhhhh...ya got me now!!!
Oh, wait.... No you don't, since I'm big enough to admit my mistakes.
Actually, No they're not.
--
Steve

That's true. I did miss the word necessarily. I've "converted" several systems, just by adding 134a to the existing system. No oil change, no dryer change, no taking out the r-12. Yes, that's right, I have 3 trucks, (2 fords and a dodge) in my fleet running mixed refrigerants. The whole "conversion" thing is a bogus scam.
--
Steve

Publically admitting to having intentionally created contaminated refrigerant is not something one is wise to do.
Cool! pun intended :)
wrote:

body