Re: Front Diff question:

On 21 Aug 2003 08:05:00 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Fu Dollars) wrote:

My button is marked Auto 4wd and that is where the trouble starts. As to the clutch pack, as I said, they replaced the entire ft differential. And the dealer is the one that is saying there is nothing wrong with it. I think the clutch pack is too tight but they don't see it my way.

Chuck

Chuck, yeh that is the same button. There are a few things that you may want to look at. First check the fluid in your transfer case. It should be blue in color. Uses blue fluid Autotrak II. If black or burnt smelling could of fried when front diff went out. If red then has wrong fluid in it. If you have not done yet you can try changing the fluid and see if that helps. Takes 2 quarts. Fluid has special friction motifiers for the clutch to work properly. Uusally you get more of shudder when turning if fluid bad.
Another is, have you ever changed your fluid in your locking rear diff. If you look in the owners manual if was suppose to be changed. Again uses friction modifiers to let your locking diff slip when turning.
And then another is that you can ask the dealer if they put synthetic (sp) in your front diff. If you live in a real cold climate normal diff fluid is too thick and your clutch pack maybe trying to overcome the fluid. You could have that changed if see if works.
If still problem then tell dealer to hook up Tech 2 and drive and see how the clutch pack is operating.
FU (like few)