Re: GM Transmissions, (Component Slippage) or so it thinks so

on my 92 got a recall for the tranny dipstick, seems the tranny was pushing fluid out the dipstick tube so the installed a sealed locking one on the recall. Well wouldn't ya know that soon after I got another recall to reroute the tranny vent tube. Seems again the tranny was pushing fluid out the vent tube (located next to the catalytic converter) and causing fires. They relocated it further back. Seems to me that the tranny should not be pushing out all this fluid and that they have a problem with that particular model. 4L60E

Reply to
Mastermech

Sorry, but I dont have that problem, just the transmission thinks its slipping, it sets a code, then boosts transmission fluid pressure, causing it to shift hard into 2nd gear. I was wondering who else had this problem

Reply to
Kiel Uyttenhove

I had this problem on a 97' K1500 w/ 115,000 milies on it. I think you are describing what is known as a "Bang 1-2" problem. I put off fixing it because the problem would come and go - similar to your discription. However, now I wish I had not put it off for so long. I ended up toasting the clutch. I (my mechanic from a referral in this group) opened the valve body and it did not help. We ending up rebuilding the entire trans. One word of advice, get it fixed quick.

Reply to
USFSIG

RE/

Could it be a precursor to the valve body piston thing?

Seems like the spiel I got on mine included the transmission's boosting fluid pressure because the blowby in the valve body was making the trans think it needed boosting. REALLY hard shifts.... that got more frequent as time passed.

----------------------- PeteCresswell

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

P-1870

'Transmission Component Slipping'

usually the root cause is wear in the TCC Regulator valve bore

when the ECM call for Converter Clutch operation, the worn valve bore will prevent complete converter clutch apply

the ECM interprets this as slip and boosts pressures to compensate

in mild cases it will only show up after prolonged highway driving

as it gets more severe, the least amount of attempted TCC application will trigger it

end result is a toasted converter

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer