RE: improving AC/Engine Cooling

I noticed the original poster mentioned heavy traffic situations and slow going on the freeway. I have noticed one thing happening with almost all my vehicles that in stop and go traffic, wether it is on the highway or in downtown traffic. If you follow or sit closely behind the vehicle in front of you your engine temp has a tendency to rise. If you leave a half or three quarter car length it makes a small difference. I would guess the heat from the vehicle in front has nowhere to go but into your radiator. A little space allows this heat to rise.

May not make much of a difference but I thought I would pass it along.

I've learned that I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it! snipped-for-privacy@charter.net Remove the x for e-mail reply Amateur radio enthusiast, N9JBF Bass fishing Aficionado!

A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!

Reply to
Dan, danl, Redbeard uh Greybea

Thanks Dan...

I probably should've paid better attention to what it was actually doing.

I realized over the weekend that it heats up at cruise on the interstate and under acceleration. Once at idle, it can't dissipate the heat.

So I suppose I should attack the problem of heating up to begin with. This week hopefully I can get to a radiator shop that can properly flush and/or scrub out the cooling system.

We'll see what that buys me.

Thanks again,

~jp

Dan, danl, Redbeard uh Greybeard now wrote:

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

Do not forget to put a shutoff valve in bypass as it can really make a difference in hot weather because ALL coolant must pass through radiator when bypass is closed.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Where should I put the valve? Inline with one the "in" heater hose of the heater core?

~jp

SnoMan wrote:

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

Place it in the hose tht leaves the intake manifold near thermostat housing. Lowes has some the will fit right in the hose. (this is what I did) If you want to get fancy you can place on in return from heater core too and be able to isolate it if it ever developes a leak and you can not get to it to fix for a while.

SnoMan

Cool, thanks....

~jp

SnoMan wrote: