Re: Mobil 1 vs. Valvoline?

I have an 04` GMC 2500HD 6.0 I pull a 6000 lb trailer about once a month. So would you suggest synthetic,or just regular oil? I also change oil at

3000 miles. Just wondering Thanks!
Reply to
Bill

I go with the synthetic especially since you pull a trailer.. I don't feel as guilty if I extend my oil change intervals. Cost difference. If you pay $1 for regular oil and $4 for Mobil 1: 16.6 cents per hundred miles for regular and 66.7 cents for synthetic (50 cents extra per 100 miles). If you get a little better gas mileage, so much the better..

Reply to
HRL

I was really thinking synthetic,but I think I`ve changed my mind. I have never used it before,and never had a motor problem. I use regular oil in my race car,my trucks,and my G.P. which has 195,000 miles. So maybe it is a waste of money.

Reply to
Bill

I hate the filter being sideways.Your right! Makes a big mess. I like the old style. Up and down. You can fill the filter,and you don`t have to here the motor knock.

Reply to
Bill

Synthetic or not. I have a real hard time believing my oil is good after 5000 miles. I always change between 2500-3000/with filter. Oil is the cheapest maintenance you can do.

Reply to
Bill

Very few synthetic users would argue with you about that.

The issue is lubrication especially under severe conditions.

Reply to
HRL

I change from 3-4K, I start procrastinating at 3K and go from there :-) Chevy says under optimal conditions you can go something like 7 or 12K miles.... 1991 service manual!

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

I do the same thing. What I should have said is that very few users of Synthetic buy it just because you can go longer. I just don't feel as guilty if I go a bit longer than I should.

A couple reasons that I use it:

Synthetic doesn't need or use Viscosity Improvers. Synthetic can stand much higher temperatures without breaking down

Reply to
HRL

Interesting topic, and yes, I'll agree that products like Mobil 1, and Amsoil are superior to conventional oils in many ways. One may wish to run these for longer intervals, but one item overlooked is the major shortcoming of most oil filter systems on cars, and light trucks.

I believe I read once that common filters, in which most are smaller than a soda pop can, usually have had it after a 1000 miles. After that, they cannot sufficiently filter your oil, and the filth more or less by-passes the filter, and runs right back into your engine. In this instance, I don't think it matters how good your oil is. It's dirt, metal particles and blowby contaminants that are killing a motor's life, and causing wear, more than the breakdown of the oil itself.

A very good option is the use of a remote filter which can be much larger, and have a greater capacity, and/or the use of a Bypass filter. I know Amsoil sells these, and they do work.

With the addition of a Bypass Filter, much better filtration occurs quite rapidly in a system, and one also increases the oil capacity in a system, thereby also offering better oil cooling/protection to an engine. I can see the advantages this has for heavyduty use such as SUV's/Light Trucks towing heavy loads, and for those too, who have diesel motors in thier rigs. Mark.

Reply to
Mark D

Just one bloke's opinion but it seems to me that those boasting the most about AMSoil products are those involved in the selling of said products. I have yet seen any independent factual data to back up the many claims of superiority made for the products.

Reply to
Obbop

Hi, As I've stated, I have found Amsoil to be a very good product, I'm a user, not a dealer, and a good friend of mine also uses Amsoil

15-40W, and Amsoil marketed bypass filter in his Dodge- Cummins with great results also. I also use Amsoil Full Synthetic Transmission Fluid in my Chevy Tahoe.

And again, as I said in my last post, supplementary filtration will help any motor last longer. Mark

Reply to
Mark D

From what I've read, from many different sources, I've little doubt that synthetic has some advantages over conventional oil. I just wonder how you and your friend quantify your "great results". The most miles I ever put on a vehicle, before trading for a new one, was about 85000, and I've never had an oil related engine failure. To get a broader picture, I asked a friend who, until last year, was the Chief Deputy County Sheriff in our county. He retired with 28 years, 17 as CD, and said that he only saw one oil related engine failure during his tenure, and their cars all had between 300K and 400K miles on them when they were replaced. Considering the severe duty that those engines endured, on nothing but conventional oil, I can hardly see any advantage in spending three times as much for syn. Even on dino oil, the engines outlasted the rest of the cars. Syn may be a bit better, but 99% of us would never see any benefit from it. H

Reply to