Re: New Air Tools - ahhhh

you do torque the wheel right? uneven torque (not overtorque) is the cause of brake pulsations. -Pete
Re: New Air Tools - ahhhh Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Wed, Mar 31, 2004, 8:58pm From:
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net Actually Doc encouraged me to buy a better one... I was concerned about buying another POS - but at $67 with both 1/2 and 3/8 ratchets it was worth taking the chance (a little better, but not the $500 pro model). After the fustration with the old one that was POS, I'm surprise by the consistancy of torque and ease of use of this one. If I were using it daily and checking it with a torque wrench I could develop trust in it for installing wheels. THANKS DOC! Elliott KJ wrote: We didn't say a thing! Relax! Ian <insert interpretive fighting words here> Have fun Elliot! ~KJ~
I use the human feel torque method... I've not chose to purchase a torque wrench big enough to do lug wrenches. And the torque wrench I do use for head bolts and so-on is only good for 1000inLbs (500 but I bent the needle backwards the other 500). I don't recommend this approach but I have been doing them this way for a long long time. I don't have any problems with brake pulsations - though I concur uneven torquing would cause that problem on some rotors. The Sonoma's rear drums aren't that susceptible. The Saturn's front rotors were warped before we got the car, replaced, and have been fine since. I do follow the cross-pattern tightning and 'feel' them to be even (as good as that is). Elliott
pete carb wrote:

thats cool, i was just lookin out for ya. you can buy some really cheap torque wrenches: click tpe 20-30$ they are perfect for wheels and such. -Pete
Per a private email from Walt, here is the sku number in case anyone else is trying to get one of these from the Home Depot store. Mine was the last one on display and when I bought it the guy there took down the display-stand. I think it was discontinued. And I did notice that the airtools that they had from Husky as individual pieces were slightly better (for the whole price). ie: for $60 they had a 3/8" with 60Lbs, and a 1/2" with >250 (may have been 350 - I don't think is was 500 lbs like the IR that Doc recommended). My 1/2" has the 3-settings F&R like the expensive one - they also had a cheeper one that I wasn't interested in enough to remember it. Elliott PS: this email address will be done as of 4/18 - will come back with a different email account - and no I haven't been blasted by spam - and yes i have software that can pull every email address off of a news group in seconds - seems the spammers must be getting tierd of that approach - since most posters use an alias, I haven't needed to.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

I was back at Home Depot yesterday (4/2/4) and the display was back with 1 more of these kits in it. Thus there is more hope that it can be acquired wherever you are. Probably would help to print the below text and take it with you (to the tools section). They also had an electric 1/2" impact - though only 150lbs - I don't see why electrics should be weeker - they're just not that mature I guess. Elliott snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Post a follow