Re: OT - cellular phone choices

Verizon. I have been with ALL of the other major players and so far, for the money, the V is the best. Besides, in a couple months, they will have THEIR
two ways coming out also.....more V users than CrapTel users

you
over
when
and
i go with a nextel. nextel you have ph. 2 way radio, and if you want internet access. with nextel depending on where you are located if may be the best thing. PLUS nextel has just started, (or atleast here in n.c) to offer nation wide coverage. just my 2 cents worth. check out nextel.com to find prices in your area. if you are lookin just for a cell ph. i recommend a nokia ph. i have had 3 of them, i would stay away from ericson/sony brand phs, as i heard there junk.
I have had Nextel, 50% dropped call rate, would drop in the middle of a call etc. Sprint had some call dropping problems but not as bad as nextel, but the spring PCS signal is limited to big cities so once you go outside a city you loose signal. I have had the best reception with Verizon. Their customer service isnt the best like not allowing my to upgrade the plan on my wifes phone even though we are both on the bill and I pay the bill, but the other companies are just as bad.
"Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> wrote in message

have
would
Thanks to Nextel airplanes need to navigate around a "High Altitude 400,000 ft. Tower" in the middle of the country. Sorry, you have got to see their add on Nascar. Jeez I was using ATTW seems okay, albeit the hiddens. My truck has a hardwire system, mic, and voice command; the speaker is on the console, completely hand and eyes free which is good since most people cannot speak on the phone, brush on makeup, and drive at the same time. For local use (120 mile) radius, we've been using two-meter ham wireless units these are great, and of course the talk time is free. You'll need to study and acquire an amateur license first.
Have a great one!
Bush
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 12:53:42 -0400, "Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> wrote:

"Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> wrote in message

have
would
Snow,
We're neighbors so here's a <relevant> suggestion! I've been with Alltel for 4 years now and wouldn't switch if someone payed me.
$100.00 a month gets me 1300 anytime minutes (entire State of Ohio is considered your home calling area, no roaming fee so long as yer' in Ohio), free nationwide long distance, 3000 evening and weekend bonus minutes, voicemail, caller-id, call waiting, 3-way calling, and a second line for my wife who shares my minutes. Very few dropped calls, zero service outages since I signed up.
Doc
Dang, I thought Verizon was expensive. We get pretty much the same package on two phones for about $75 month total for both.

Ohio),
my
Stay away from Nextel and AT&T.
The biggest problem with Nextel is their equipment. The only place you can buy a phone from is Nextel, and the only company that makes iden phones is Motorola. So... if your phone craps out or you drop it in a puddle or something, you can't replace the phone inexpensively. If your contract doesn't happen to be up for renewal they won't subsidize a new phone so the cheapest you can get is about $135.- for the most basic phone they offer. The replacement price for an i60 or something is over $200. Their network stinks too.
AT&T is in the middle of switching their TDMA network to GSM. For me, I travel a lot in the northeast, so I had a great deal with AT&T for their regional one rate plan. No roaming or long distance anywhere. Their network was pretty good, too. The problem now is that they are trying to shove everyone off of their TDMA plans, so they are cutting off features like internet access for their TDMA phones (which I used every day to track packages with FedEx, etc). I had a problem getting calls through outside of Philadelphia last week and their customer service idiots told me I should start to expect service gaps like that more and more on their "old" network. Their GSM network isn't in place yet, so the service is pretty much useless unless you are in midtown Manhattan, and since they have no roaming agreements with anyone their off-network rates are crazy expensive. For a GSM one-rate plan they want like $60 a month for 350 minutes, which is almost twice what I pay now for about half the air time.
I don't think you can do much better than Verizon, as much as I hate to say it.
Just remember that cellular number portability is law as of November 2003, which means that if you want to switch cellular providers you can take the number with you. I think that will completely change how aggressively providers will try to keep your business.
Oh, and Ericssen (spelling?) phones are the pits. Don't even think about it.