Re-post of 6.2 diesel request for info.

Due to someone crossing five lanes of traffic in front of me without looking I need a new 4X4 ride.
A friend told me about a 1981-87 Blazer a fellow worker of his has for sale.
We went and looked at it this afternoon. (I can't get up with the owner until Monday). All the info I have on it is that it is the '81-'87 body style, Diesel, 2-door, towing package, auto, power windows, power locks, fair shape. (It is not an ex-military Blazer). Here in coastal NC I don't go surf fishing when it gets close to or below freezing, as I have a gas GMC pickup for a daily driver below, cold weather starting problems with a diesel are not a concern.
What can you tell me good and bad about the diesel? I have a lot of experience with Chevy/GMC trucks but never with a diesel. If its too bad will a small block bolt up to the transmission. I have plenty of small block gas engines that I put in power boats, if I need to drop one in it.
"J" snipped-for-privacy@apexmail.com posted:

Hey, as a Michigan resident, I wish I knew that gas engines have starting problems in cold weather! I would have called into work the other morning when it was -7.
My neighbors with Diesels will tell you that they are a bigger PITA to start than gas engines in serious cold.
that's why they are equipped from the factory with block heaters.
When it's going to get below 15 degrees F, I plug mine in for about 3-4 hours and I'm good to go. It will still start when it's that cold or colder, but just takes a bit more cranking on the $300 starter.
Snowman
posted:

when
start

looking
sale.
go
block
The 82 and 83 6.2's are not the same as the later ones. Different filters and some small parts. The big change may have come later when they changed the rocker arm set ups. Before you buy a Diesel, be advised parts are expensive. I had an 82 and it was no fun to keep running. I think in 84 Chevrolet took over building the engines, before that Detroit Diesel built them.
Al

The same plant that built the 350 diesels built the 82 and earlier engines but they were absolute nightmares. In 83 GM decided to retool their plants and bought the 83 model year engines from DD, GM was already using the DD model in their light to mid-duty delivery trucks. In 84 GM started to build them again in their own plants. It is a nice engine that gets good gas mileage but remember they only produced ~130hp so they are not speedsters but will last a long time if taken care of properly. I have over 400k miles (418,000 to be more exact) on mine and it gets 17mpg and does not burn oil. We use it as a daily driver and it starts just fine even in 2 deg F temps w/o the block heater....
good luck, mark