Re: Questions-350cid 88K1500

Page 1 of 2

P.S.- The wires are 1000 mi old Delco 8.5mm wires, so it's at least not that part of the ignition.

To a mechanic. It would be cheaper than throwing parts at it.
"GaWd" wrote

Please keep us informed about what parts you install and when the problem actually gets fixed. It will be interesting to see when and if you get lucky throwing parts at it.
Ian

Smart move Sam, ask for help and then insult most of those capable of actually helping. It seems you didn't learn much from your last ordeal with the cylinder heads. As I remember you were pretty happy to have some "wrench monkey" finish the project that YOU started but were unable to finish. Bob
You must be one of those high-priced wrnech monkeys. Sorry if your feelings are hurt by that.
You're right, I didn't know enough about my truck to properly adjust the valves, I'm guilty as charged.
Now, in this case, the wrench, no matter who he is, will most likely just throw the same parts at my truck that I will, except I can get a lower price and my labor doesn't cost $100 an hour.
Cheers Bob!
Sam

truck back together. I also don't remember any pissing and moaning about what he charged. It seems to me like he did what you couldn't, even though several people here gave you detailed instructions of what to do. So why is it you have such a low opinion of repair techs? Maybe a better question would be this.... If the local parts swapping monkeys are making $100/hour and you are capable of doing just as good of a job as they are why not just open a shop? $100/hour shop rate and a healthy markup on parts.... think about it. On the other hand if you don't have a clue what you are doing you will quickly go broke. Bob
Bob, being happy about him geting it running(just a valve adjustment), and being happy as shit that he decided to R&R the intake and charge me $1K to do it are two separate things. I'd almost feel good about paying for the R&R if he had actually REMOVED the f-in intake instead of just unbolting things, lifting it up and inserting new gaskets(even though I installed it properly).
$1K for the intake? Christ, I've done it with more than one V-8 in an hours or two!
So, for the third time, for me to go to a local mechanic and have him charge me $100/hr. to throw the same parts at it is ludicrous.
Sam
P.S.- I have no desire to be a mechanic. Why the fuck would you draw such a silly-ass conclusion?

So why did you authorize the intake R&R at that price?

You're paying for knowledge and skill, if you want to pay for something according to time, I'd suggest the merry-go-round in front of the grocery store.

Bullshit. more like 5-6 hours, or maybe 5-6 days.

Then go to a mechanic that is willing to diagnose it with-out throwing parts at it.

Because you play one on usenet?
You always were an asshole. Good to see nothing has changed!
Cheers.

"GaWd" wrote

Why? Because I'm still here and your buddy Dean isn't?
Please keep us up to date on your parts hanging exploits. At least you can be a source of entertainment, if not actual knowledge.
Ian
My buddy Dean? I think I had as much of a problem with him as you did...think back a year Ian, really hard...

Ya know, I'm going to be in Door County over the 4th, maybe I'll take a little side trip and see how ol' dean is doing.

The lotboys must be getting seasoned. ;-)
LOL!!!! You really are the clueless fuck that I thought you were! Those dice are much better at diagnostics than you are! Good luck with you truck!!!! Bob

I'm a clueless fuck because I think you and Ian are being pricks? Fuck off, Bob.

Being a prick when called names is completely justified.

Ian knows more about your truck than you could ever hope too!! The problem is that you aren't smart enough to take advantage of that. Hang parts on that bitch 'till you run out of money! LOL!!! Bob

I wonder if I can buy stock in the part store he goes to?

I may have mentioned this before, but I'm thinking your wife and my wife might be sisters.

Why? Is your wife also proud of all the money you piss away on training and equipment when you could be making $100/hour for just hanging parts on? Bob

I didn't buy one. I thought about it, and figured if I stuck the money that the Modis would have cost into a laptop and software, I'd have a hell of a lot more tool for the money. (plus I'm leery of Snap-Ons claims) I bought a new laptop instead, which is going to/is being loaded with all sorts of neat software. AES wave. Ease scan software Service management program Pico scope if I can get it without the low amps probe which I already own 3 versions of. I just finished up the wireless network last night...
The laptop is going into my custom built diagnostic cabinet which will have (from top to bottom) my Counsellor 2 on top, the laptop on the second level, C2 accessories in the top drawer, the red brick in the second drawer, my LS-2000 and accessories and timing light in the third drawer, with the bottom (deep) drawer holding the fuel pressure gauge set, the smoke machine, my speedglas helmet and a few other odds and ends. I got to remember to forward a picture of all this to Jim Linder cause I believe he collects pictures/examples of mechanics versions of their diagnostic carts.
Given the price difference and similarities, the Genisis is still in consideration though.