Re: Questions-350cid 88K1500

Page 2 of 2

Never ceases to amaze me...
Gawd; For starters, pull the aircleaner and look down the tbi throat to see if the fuel is puddling up on the butterflies. Try to see the spray pattern, one of the injectors might be dirty or stuck open. Make sure all of the vacuum lines are solid and in place. Reach in and see if you can wiggle the tps. It should be nice and tight. Using a thin screwdriver, move the tps lever from the idle position. If you get no change in idle condition the tps could have failed sending a partial open signal to the computer. There has been lot of heat under that 15 year old hood and the tps connector is not the most robust I have seen. Mine came apart and crumbled in my hands when I was chasing a similar problem on my 87 K5. A new connector and tps solved the problem. Also a bottle of Techron every 2-3 months helps a lot. Another thought; I have had the O2 sensor go bad without throwing a code. This can make the truck run rich as well. Just some ideas. Good Luck, JR
--
Computer Tips & Tweaks
www.acon-pchelp.com

I said nothing about you taking it to a shop. I'm waiting to see the results of your part hanging. You never know, you might get lucky and fix it with one component. Which will mean nothing, but that you got lucky.
The only person I see riding a high horse is you and your negative comments about technicians. And then you are the first one to be looking for help and advice.
Ian
Hey, I didn't think you and Bob would be so sensitive about being called Parts-monkies.
I didn't get negative about techs until you and Bob started having serious attitude problems.

Correct.
Congrats, you're a dick, too.

And you're a top-posting moron with a broke truck.

That you certainly are.
And yes, I appreciate top-posting. So fuck off.

You didn't call Bob and Ian "parts-monkies." You laid that label on all mechanics.

Oh, now it's because Bob and Ian have "attitudes." Earlier, you claimed that it was because they throw parts at a problem at $100 an hour.
Jeez I watched the race and missed all of the fun! I think JR was headed in the right direction with the tbi unit. These units do develop internal leaks over time, and a rebuild is inexpensive and takes about two hours. Tomco has kits available which provides new seals and a new pressure regulator, if memory serves. You'll need a can of Gumout carb and choke cleaner, a razor blade scraper or a single edge razor will do, in order to clean up the mating surfaces, and a brass bristle brush, toothbrush size to clean up the casting without scratching it. A set of line wrenches will help since you'll need to disconnect the feed and return lines at the unit in order to facilitate removal, and a inexpensice torx head bit set for dissasembly. Been some time since I did one of these, but quite basic. Let us know what you decide to do. Oh by the way, where is the $100/hr. shop?
Have a great one!
Bush
On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 23:56:08 -0700, "GaWd"

===================== Questions-350cid 88K1500 Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sat, Jun 21, 2003, 11:56pm (CDT-2) From: samroza@*NOSPAM*hotmail.com (GaWd) My truck's being a POS lately. I have no leads to go on at this point, but to throw parts at it and see how she responds. No codes. K-Here's the symptoms. -poor/varying mileage. Some tanks it's 10mpg, sometimes it's 6, other times it's been as high as about 15 -throttle response issues. slow to react to the foot. -rich exhaust smell. -Today after parking her for a minute, when I cam out and started her up, and took off, she stalled. Still no codes. -Yesterday while warming her up in the afternoon, there was a pretty big stumble in idle. No code for that either. I haven't thrown parts at it just yet. I'm pretty sure it's time for a new ICM and coil pack. It's probably time for a new CTS, and MAP/BARO sensor as well. Where should I go with this? Thanks. Sam ==========================hey Sam....
let's chunk some parts at it......fk it. it's your money..and you're willing.
I think your your on the money with the ignition module and coil pack..
give er a shot...
.gibson6string... saw all the names and thought it was a block party......carries his bladder acid back to the car...... ===============================
"William R. Walsh"
wrote:

No it won't. Can (maybe) but not will.
===================== Re: Questions-350cid 88K1500 Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Wed, Jun 25, 2003, 12:45am (CDT+5) ...... "Guitar Boogie" wrote you can quit butter'n his balls now..... he forgives you...
........ From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (shiden_kai) Come on, Marshy....please be original. That's more important then being knowledgeable...I'd say.
Ian
.gibson6string... quits the Johny Cash repertoir and starts writing his own songs..... =================================
i SAY CHECK THE INJECTORS FOR CLOG OR LAG WATCH IT WELL ITS RUNNING. CHECK THE PLUGS CONNECTED TO THE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR AND THE MAP SENSOR MINE DID THE SAME THING BECAUSE OF A LOOSE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR IT KICKS DOWN THE FUEL PRESURE TO SAVE THE ENGINE. CN.

I lost my weighted diagnostic dice...

Hardly. While the circut is as you describe, the effects of increased resistance in one of the redundant circuts would be countered by the ECM. The ECM monitors fuel pump voltage and adjusts the fuel injector pulse width to compensate for fluctuations in voltage. This is what allows the engine to continue to run when the alternator fails. At least, it'll run until the battery dies.