Re: REPOST: 2002 Blazer thumping noise?

There are two things that I would try first

  1. servicing the differential
  2. removing the drive shaft and greasing the splines where it mates to the trans or the slip yoke The fact that you say it mostly occurs after a turn leads me to think it is in the diff ( limited slip clutches sticking and popping loose during turn) Just my thoughts

Reply to
jhones.family

i really dont think its that honestly i think it feels like a suspension problem but i cant pinpoint or pick out where its coming from, and the noise and thump feeling is totally independent from any acceleration/deceleration

Reply to
Hey Paizan

I cannot tell you this is your problem, but let me tell you about the annoying noise my truck made/makes. I spent almost 3 years being driven half nuts by this. I had taken apart the dash, I had put Dynamat in the speaker compartment (passenger side dash speaker for 88 S-10), I had felt, tugged, wiggled and tightened everything I could get my hands on under the dash and in the engine compartment. At one point, I thought I might be going crazy, so I started asking passengers if they too heard the noise (thankfully, they heard it too...though I suppose I could still be going crazy...)

Then 6 weeks ago, after all these years, frustrations, effort and annoyance, I finally discovered what my noise was -- It was the hood. The corner of the hood immediately in front of the passenger seat (a matter of inches from the dash and speaker) moves up and down at an almost imperceptible amount (especially when keeping your eyes on the road while driving). That corner when fluttering, makes an annoying rattling sound, like something loose in the glove box bouncing around. It would only do it at certain times (speeds, weather etc), but it did it frequently enough to bug me -- I hate squeaks, rattles, foreign noises. I haven't yet tried to figure out how to make it stop, knowing what it is took away about 50% of my annoyance, so it got moved down the list of importance.

Big Chris

Reply to
Big Chris

lol wow the last thing i would ever think of causing a sound would be the hood, i dont know wether that is it or not but ill definitely check. Have you checked your hood bumpers to make sure that they are down tight enough to the hood ?

Reply to
Hey Paizan

Yeah, it's an issue with where the hood goes back under the cowling, where the pivot arms are. I haven't examined what is supposed to keep it from doing this, though the front hood bumpers are doing their job, as it appears whatever is on the drivers side seems to be working as well.

Big Chris

Reply to
Big Chris

Reply to
Andrew Sable

Thanks Andrew, I figured as much, just haven't gotten around to looking at it yet. Once I finally figured out what the cause was I knew most of the battle was over!

Big Chris

Reply to
Big Chris