Re: Various Problems Part II

no,no,no, the tank must always be nearly full. At least that's been the way it's happened to me : )
seriously it's not too bad at all if the tank is empty. gas is heavy

worker wrote:

I would guess the weight of gas is similar to that of water, which runs 8lbs per gallon if I'm not mistaken. I have a 20 gallon tank, and working under my truck (even though I am strong) I'd be in trouble if it was full. I'll siphon out all I can for sure.
What's the difficulty level beyond that though--Just a few bolts and a wiring coupler?
Big Chris
You will only have a couple of "small" problems. If you have any mechanical ability, this is something you can do. Get the tank empty as possible. Be sure to have plenty of room under the truck. When you loosen the straps, you'll come to the first problem. The manufacturers don't give you any slack on the fuel line or the electrical supply. Its not that big a deal, but its a wrestling match. After you get the tank out, dump the remaining gas. Clean the area of the tank where the pump is. It is full of dirt and rust so clean it before you take out the pump. Any dirt that you don't remove WILL go into that hole. Use a brass punch to remove the retainer ring. This is not the time to cause a spark! You're almost done at this point so just keep thinking about the couple of hundred you saved by doing it yourself. .

also, put out your cigar first. john

LS wrote:

Actually Lannie, I did it, and if you were smart enough, you would see that by reading the threads that come up, they don't address the issue I am asking. I went 4 pages deep and didn't find what I was looking for. Had you used google.com initially on your problem, you would've found multiple correct answers on the first page listed. Now had I not used that set of instructions for your education, you might be viewed as clever, but instead you will be viewed as a punk who doesn't accept instruction and constructive criticism well. Oh well, your loss.
Big Chris