Rear

Hi all. I just recived a 05 silverado crew cab with the Light Duty Power Package.(5.3 tow package locking Differential ect) My 1st chevy in a long time. (no more gas guzzling bad handling fords)
I drove it from Maryland to Tennessee (doing 75 or so) and got 23mpg,and was very happy with the truck. Then I took it camping a few hrs away to western Maryland towing my 21' 4500 lb camper and was not happy at all. It has a 3.23 rear in it and I thought its way to high to tow the camper. The outside tem gauge said 96-101 while driving in a 30-40 mile bumper to bumper mess.When the road would open up going up the mountains it would really have a hard time. When I got to the campground I could smell the breaks. I put in a new prodigy brake controller and must not have had it adjusted right. (Buts that's a whole different story) On the return trip I had open road lower temps a well adjusted brake controller and had much better luck. So was it the temp or did the fact I got a good running start up the hills help? I was wondering if anyone has the same set up and how well they do towing. I was also wondering how much do you think it would it would run me to change the rear(I guess to something like a 3.73?) and what that would do to the warranty
First of all I do not believe you have a 3.23, I think 3.42 was the lowest, and yes a 3.73 will tow better, be careful shouldn't use o/d when towing unless it's a lite load. At those ambient temps you were down on power anyway, plus did you get any break in miles before towing?

-
Its not a 4x4 so it's the 3.23(its on the window sticker) we looked at all the 1500s on the lot with tow package (about 30) they all had the same rear, so the dealer told us it was "standard"we had 24 hrs before the gm pricing changed so we went ahead and got it. we drove to tenn and back so we had about 2,000 mi on it when we towed the camper. thank you for the feed back

It's far better to pull it down out of overdrive under those type conditions. The engine will lug less, fan will run at higher RPM, all around better performance.
Read the owner's manual, it has useful information.
Shep wrote:

instead of knocking fords, you should have paid attention to what you bought as far as mileage and towing. even a Ford(which i drive along with my 1999 chevy tahoe) would get good mileage with that lousy combination. old john