rear axle problem? could anyone help?

i have an 87 s10 blazer 4x4, i was changed the ring gear a while back, today i removed the passenger axle, and went to put ot back in, and it wont slide in all the way...any help? the c lock is out...i dont know.

The side gear in the diff slipped down and the axle won't engage?

-

That would be my guess too. Not hard to "fix" though. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Exactly what are you saying? The axle gear moved? My first question would be is the differential limited slip?
Al
The diff side gear that the axle slides into can move around after the pin and axle are removed, as I said could be it moved, a g80 will not do this so readily.

-

Move around how? Are you saying the pinion gears fell out and the axle gear moved in? A G80 is limited slip, right? Try not to confuse me, I'm old.
Al

They are not a precison fit it there (a bit sloppy) and when the axle and clip is out, the only thing kinda holding them there (especailly a open diff) is the the spider gears and add a little wear and extra slop and they can get out of alignment with axle shaft when you try to slide it back in. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Big Al wrote:

Ah, I wouldn't worry about it Al. You aren't the one that is confused!
Ian

Thanks. I've worked on read ends for about 45 years now and thought I missed something.
Al
What are you talking about knucklehead, I said the g80 diff will not do this, only on the open diff will the spider gear move!!!

-
Shep wrote:

Yes, Shep....but even on an open diff, I can't see the original poster not being able to figure out that a side gear has popped out far enough so that he can't get the axle back in. I mean, the spider gears would have to fall right out before the side gears would come out of the diff housing. As far as Snoman thinking that there would be enough play "within" the housing so that the side gear could cock enough to keep the axle from being installed...this is nothing more then typical bullshit from him.
I mean....Snoman is the guy that believes you "should" retorque "torque to yield" head bolts....."just to be sure".
Ian
Ian, none of us, as usual, really ever know how some people get themselves in these binds. We both know thewe are people with no backround or ability tackling jobs that they spend more time on news groups asking questions about, than they do trying to fix the problem. I assumed a simple answer for what sounded like a simple problem, who knows from our desks?

-
Shep wrote:

Very true, which is why there are a lot of posts that I simply do not reply to as I would not be able to give a good, useful answer to the question.
Ian
the axle shaft is splined and so is the side gear did you try turning it some as you push in on the axle I am a ASE Master tech and no the side gear if it had enough slop to slide down so the axle could not be installed it would have to be falling apart