Rear axle question?

I have a 98 chevy 1/2 ton. I have the 9.5 inch 14 bolt rearend. I was wondering which other vehicles would have this same one. My pinion bearing went out which in turn ruined every gear inside the case and I thought it would be easier to just replace the entire axle assembly then to rebuild. The reason I need to know is so I can go junk yard searching. Some of the local yards you can pull your own parts for a very good price, but they don't tell you anything about what parts they have. All they know is what vehicles are in the yard. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Zach

Reply to
zachoboy

Usually the 9.5 is a very sturdy alxe and it takes neglect to bring one down as they are about the equal of a D60. (most neglect to regularly service the lube in them as it should be changed from time to time and checked for water if you mud a lot) That rear axle was widely used ina lot of trucks including LD 3/4 models made from 88 true 98. They did not show up is 1/2 ton too often but did from time to time. A axle from a van will not work because it is wider. I would tend to suggest you rebuild it as if you are also running big tires this would be a good time to regear truck as well (and yes you have to do front axle too if it is a 4x4 and you regear)

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

FIRST OF ALL IF IT'S A 1/2 TON IT DOES NOT HAVE A 9.5 14 BOLT AXLE--IF IT DOES IT IS NOT STOCK! IT'S PROBLY A GM 12 BOLT OR WHATEVER THEYRE USING IN THE NEWER TRUCK'S, IM REALLY MORE FAMILIAR WITH THE OLDER MODELS(73 TO LATE 80S B4 IFS) IF IT IS A 14 BOLT JUST ABOUT ANY CHEVY 1 TON OR 3/4 TON 14 BOLT I THINK IS THE SAME(AS LONG AS IT IS THE SAME AS YOURS I.E FULL FLOATER OR SEMI FLOATER) AND BY THE WAY ITS PROBLY CHEAPER TO REBUILD U CAN BUY REBUILD KITS FOR 300 OR 400 DOLLARS

14 BOLT REPLACEMENT AXLES EVEN FROM A JUNK YARD ARE 1200 TO 2000 DOLLARS(MOST PLACES IN AZ ANYWAYS)
Reply to
KINGKNOME

REAR GEARS SO UNLESS U CAN TELL BY LOOKING AT THE RING GEAR IN THE JUNK YARD B4 U BUY--STILL BETTER TO REBUILD AT LEAST U KNOW WHAT UR GETTING

Reply to
KINGKNOME

WRONG! My 1997 K1500 has a 9.5" 14 bolt from the factory. Rare but it was available.

Reply to
syoung

You are incorrect.GM has two 14 bolts, a 9.5 semi floater (which is a lot stronger than stock 10 bolt) and a 10.5 full floater. The 9.5 did make it into several 1/2 ton trucks with off road packages for many years. The 9.5 is often overlooked and passed up for the 10.5 14 bolt but the 9.5 is a very sturdy axle and can be found with 6 lig hubs making them good upgrades for 1/2 ton trucks. The 10.5 is always a 8 bolt hub.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Correct and they really were not that rare over the years. You must of had a Z71 or the like off road package option.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Not HAD a Z71, HAVE. Love these trucks. Durable, cheap (not on gas), & still good lookin'.

Reply to
syoung

The small 14 bolt is in all the SS 454 trucks that I know of.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Thanks for all the info.

I have picked up a 14 bolt out of a 91 3/4 ton pickup with 8 lug hubs and the same 3.73 gear ratio (GT4). Do you think my 6 lug axles will go in if I swap out the brake assembly on both sides? I had no idea about the 10.5 inch 14 bolt when I bought it. I just assumed it would work being how it was the same 14 bolt.

Reply to
zachoboy

This is a bit confusing... What's the axle assembly shaped like??

Look here:

Then go down and you'll find pictures of both "14 bolt" axle housings. Which did you buy? I don't know if the 9.5" was available with an

8-lug hub. If so, then what you're describing would *probably* work. I wasn't aware of what all your original, smaller 14 bolt came in, but I was under the impression that most 3/4 ton trucks used the bigger of the two, almost always with 8-lug hubs.

~jp

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

The two covers are identical and are the same as the small 14 bolt picture except for the 3/4 ton axle has a rubber plug in the bottom and my 1/2 ton does not. Don't know why? Shock and spring mounts are in the same place along with where the breather enters.

Reply to
zachoboy

There is no 6 bolt axle that will fit in a 14 bolt full floater. Also they made a lot of xales with 8 bolt hubs on the 14 bolt 9.5, they were mostly in 1 ton vans though. I few made it into some P/U's

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I've seen a "big" 14 bolt with 6-lug axles, but it had custom made shafts. Definitely not what you'd call "off the shelf".

~jp

SnoMan wrote:

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

Yes my 1992 Z71 K1500 has the corporate 14 bolt rear.... Factory...

Reply to
69SScamaro

They did not call the 14 bolt 9.5 the corperate 14 bolt though, that name is used with the 10.5 inch full floater.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan