rear diff

Hello truck freaks,
A question from an overseas truckfreak here. My '88 K15004X4 has a "klunk" in the rear diff whenever i shift into D or R.
And when its parked (only in P) i can move my truck about 2inches forth and back. I know i m looking at a rebuild, but is there i can do in the meantime, like use a thicker oil or something?
Thanks,
Marc Heerlen, Netherlands( the cheese country)
Are you sure your joints are good? I do not think that a rear would move you 2inches? Could be the tranny also .......

I'm going to ask a question that I don't know.. but I'd like to see if this would help my truck as it has a little clunk to it aswell.. How exactly do you go about pulling the drive shaft from the transfer case?
Adair
'96 K1500
you unbolt the two straps on the pinion yoke, push in (towards the transfer case) slightly to get it out of the yoke, then just pull it out. make sure you have an oil pan of some sort under the slip yoke as you'll get an ATF bath if the truck has the front end jacked up in any fashion.
-Bret
wrote in message

wrote in message

Sorry Adair, thought it was self explanitory! Bret hit the nail on the head.............it literally just "pops out" after it's been disengaged from the pinion straps. If yer' pinion strap bolts are being difficult and you can't get them loose with a box wrench, use a wobble extension and the correct socket size; you'll round the bolts off using a straight extension or just a socket on a ratchet due to clearance issues (you'll see what I mean). Use either Valvoline Durablend synthetic blend grease or Mobil 1 full-synthetic grease. On my girl, durablend is good for 4-5 months, Mobil is good for 9-10 months.
Doc