rear diff question

I have a 1996 gmc sierra, 5.8l vortec, auto transmission with a stock rear limited slip rear end. The rearend blew up so now I have to replace it but
need to know what the ratio was. How can I find out? There is a sticker in the glove box with a bunch of codes but I have no idea how to first tell which ones referr to the rear diff and second where to look to decifer what they mean. Any help?

http://www.drivetrain.com/GMtrkratio_posidata.html
Google is your friend :-) -- Old Crow '82 FLTC(P)'Pearl' '87 FLTC '?' '95 Wrangler YJ BS#132, TOMKAT, SENS, SLOB#13

http://www.wiu.edu/users/muwtj1/rpocodes.htm
Heh, here's even a better site. Has all option codes, not just the rear diff. -- Old Crow '82 FLTC(P)'Pearl' '87 FLTC '?' '95 Wrangler YJ BS#132, TOMKAT, SENS, SLOB#13

Much better site. I did a 1 sec google search and grabbed the first hit. Thanks

The codes in the glove box will tell you. Look here:
http://www.drivetrain.com/GMtrkratio_posidata.html
jack one wheel up and then rotate it. count the number of turns as compared to the drive shaft turns and you have the ratio. old john say three and a half turns = 3.50 ratio.
Hello, Chrissy! You wrote on Wed, 18 Jun 2008 02:36:23 GMT:
C> I have a 1996 gmc sierra, 5.8l vortec, auto transmission with a stock C> rear limited slip rear end. The rearend blew up so now I have to C> replace it but need to know what the ratio was. How can I find out? C> There is a sticker in the glove box with a bunch of codes but I have no C> idea how to first tell which ones referr to the rear diff and second C> where to look to decifer what they mean. Any help?
With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net
Please.
There is a metal tag under one of the bolts, it usually is bent around the bolt but it has the gear ratio on it. Just look at the differential.
GKShadow wrote:

Or just look at the RPO sticker in the glove box. Since most GMs don't have a gear ratio tag.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York