rear diff question

I have a 1996 gmc sierra, 5.8l vortec, auto transmission with a stock rear limited slip rear end. The rearend blew up so now I have to replace it but need to know what the ratio was. How can I find out? There is a sticker in the glove box with a bunch of codes but I have no idea how to first tell which ones referr to the rear diff and second where to look to decifer what they mean. Any help?

Reply to
Chrissy

Google is your friend :-)

-- Old Crow '82 FLTC(P)'Pearl' '87 FLTC '?' '95 Wrangler YJ BS#132, TOMKAT, SENS, SLOB#13

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Old Crow

Heh, here's even a better site. Has all option codes, not just the rear diff.

-- Old Crow '82 FLTC(P)'Pearl' '87 FLTC '?' '95 Wrangler YJ BS#132, TOMKAT, SENS, SLOB#13

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Old Crow

The codes in the glove box will tell you. Look here:

genius

jack one wheel up and then rotate it. count the number of turns as compared to the drive shaft turns and you have the ratio. old john say three and a half turns = 3.50 ratio.

Hello, Chrissy! You wrote on Wed, 18 Jun 2008 02:36:23 GMT:

C> I have a 1996 gmc sierra, 5.8l vortec, auto transmission with a stock C> rear limited slip rear end. The rearend blew up so now I have to C> replace it but need to know what the ratio was. How can I find out? C> There is a sticker in the glove box with a bunch of codes but I have no C> idea how to first tell which ones referr to the rear diff and second C> where to look to decifer what they mean. Any help?

With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
<ajeeperman

Much better site. I did a 1 sec google search and grabbed the first hit. Thanks

Reply to
genius

Please.

There is a metal tag under one of the bolts, it usually is bent around the bolt but it has the gear ratio on it. Just look at the differential.

Reply to
GKShadow

Or just look at the RPO sticker in the glove box. Since most GMs don't have a gear ratio tag.

Reply to
Steve W.