Rear end Noise

I've got a '00 silverado with about 65k miles. When I take off from a stop the rear end makes a loud "clunk". Is this something I need to be worried about, or is it "normal", like the
famous gm piston slap?
Thanks, Ryan

Ryan,
Common problem. The driveshaft slip yoke is binding on the splines of the transmission output shaft (2WD) or the transfer case output shaft (4WD). Two ways to fix it.............
1) GM's nickel-plated yoke.............several hundred dollars but a permanent fix.
2) Mobil 1 grease. Pull the driveshaft, slop some grease inside the yoke, put it all back together and she'll be quiet for 6-12 months, after which you'll have to re-spol the grease.
Doc

Could be too many pinto beans... sorry, couldn't help myself... ;-)
If not the usual culprits, could be something loose/worn in the suspension; jerks/pops when torqued... had that happen on an old GMC van...
My wife complains about my rear end noise from time to time.
Actually... My old S10 did something like that. I took it back to the dealer and they reinstalled the drive shaft... said something about the splines binding.
-NW

Hi,
Doc is absolutely correct in his email about the slip yoke, as a matter of fact, he was the one that told me to lube the splines on the slip yoke, it works like a charm although I haven't had much luck with the 6-12 month thing, the noise in my truck usually comes back every 3-4 months (99 Z71)
I have tried many different types of lube, all types recommended by people in this forum.
No worries though, its fixes the problem (temporarily) and that's all I care about
I was quoted 650.00 Canadian for a nickel plated slip yoke from GMC in Canada, tooooo damn much!!
Tube of grease will last you a long time, ten minute job
Brian

That's because you're probably using the wrong grease. If it's not a high pressure, waterproof grease that has a high moly content, it won't last long. I greased my `99 Z71 in the spring of 2000 and the problem hasn't returned.
Dave
Dave,
can you tell me the exact type of grease you use?
I have tried many different types that were recommended in this forum, including high pressure waterproof grease, all have worked, none for longer than 3-4 months

That would be great
Thanks Dave
Brian

Having the same problem. It was the Slip Yoke, and Grease does help, as Doc said. I checked this after 400 people told me it was my leafs or u-bolts.
Later