Rear hatch defroster tab separation repair

Page 2 of 2
GM has, to their credit, offered to pay 1/2 of the ~$750 replacement cost. I get the impression that they would have sprung for all of it if the service
manager at the local GM dealer had been willing to tell them that he was sure it was a case of solder separation and that there was nothing that the owner could have done to prevent it and nothing that the owner could have done to exacerbate it. The guy was unwilling to say anything other than that the tab was off. He looked at the window about 5 seconds - I am NOT exaggerating. The dealership would not have to contribute to the repair in any case.
I must say that I am impressed with GM making some attempt to stand behind their product, even in the tough financial situation they are in. I have had a series of things break on my Yukon XL that should not have broken and that makes it tough for me to want to buy GM again, but the attitude of GM customer assistance does go some distance to balance the bad experiences. God, I hope GM manages to turn themselves around financially and improve their reliability up to near-Toyota levels.
- GRL

What an odd comment GRL. I was just went back and read the J.D. Power report of June 29/05 entitled "Vehicle Dependability Study" and they state : "General Motors models earn eight segment awards and Ford Motor Company models receive five segments awards -a record for both GM and Ford in VDS. Toyota Motor Corporation models receive four awards." So what are you basing your comment on? Just curious. Here's the link if you want to read it for yourself:
http://www.jdpa.com/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID 05089

That's true. Toyotas are no longer built to "near-Toyota levels". Similarly, I remember reading that Toyota's formerly great initial quality ratings were due to much greater levels of inspection during the manufacturing process (very labor-intensive). Unfortunately, to keep prices from climbing too high, the quality checks were decreased down to industry-standard levels, and the results were not surprising. Now the effects are trickling down to the long-term quality ratings.
Nothing odd about the comment. Overall Toyota quality is well above GM's. What that report talks about in terms of awards is individual models, not an entire line. Big difference. Also, the highest ranked GM model, the Prism, is a Toyota Corolla sold by Chevy. That tells a story itself.
My problems have been with a 2000 Yukon XL. I doubt that GM won any awards for that model.
Now I am no GM-basher. I own GM stock and no Toyota stock. I desperately want GM to succeed, to build desirable cars with Toyota-level quality, but they do not now do that (there are a few exceptions) and I am not going to delude myself that they do. To my mind GM needs to build cars with the driving dynamics of a BMW and the build quality of Toyota. Do that, GM, and you will start adding market share and make money hand over fist.
- GRL

A visit to another dealer? And why is this in the Ford group?