rebuild/overhaul vs. new motor

I have a 1983 C-10 pickup with a 305, 188K miles. It currently runs okay, but I'm thinking it'll probably need some engine work in the next year or two.
I'm thinking of either having it rebuilt, or putting in a new motor altogether. Obviously, the condition of the existing block, heads, etc., will have an impact on which path might make the most sense.
Can a 305 be bored out to 350 (or 400), or would it be better to just put in a new motor to get the larger displacement?
Can anyone give any ballpark figures on what either approach might cost? I know there and condition-specific variables that will affect this; I'm just trying to get an approximate idea. At what point does a new engine make more sense than the rebuild?
TIA!
Avoiding the fact that 305's are JUNK... The cost comparison between a quality rebuild and a new, NEW GM-Goodwrench 2pc rear seal 350...the NEW 350 with factory warranty cant be beat!
A bit over $1400 through summit. Almost everything from your 305 can be used on the 350(though I would suggest an Edelbrock Performer intake and carb and a decent set of headers since its all apart anyway). Don't forget a full ignition tune up(cap, rotor, plugs, wires-I recommend Accel), water pump, fuel pump, thermostat, etc., etc....

must be this one:
NAL-10067353
"Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote in message

That's the one! I just wish I could find a set of good headers to fit my '87 G20 in Summit...

I called my local Chevy dealer, and they quoted me $3,500-3,600 for the engine and installation. Is the $1,400 price tag you mentioned just the engine?
"Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote in message

Correct! If you have to have someone install it, its gonna cost you BIG!!!

Wow, I guess so. If I'm content to live with the 305, would an overhaul/rebuild be substantially less $$$? The 350 is a 'want' more than a 'need' ;)
"Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote in message

Like I said, 305's are junk. Terrible bore/stroke combination, puny chambers, only a point or 2 better MPG if your lucky... If its all a tight money issue(isn't it always?), you could do a rering and put in fresh bearings to get you another 40-50,000 miles before its shot. I would buy a good used 350 before I would put any work into a 305.

Thanks for the insight, I'll check out your suggestions. Whether I put in a new or used 350, it sounds like the majority of the expense is labor. I'll shop around a bit.
"Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote in message

The last time I rebuilt a 305, I learned that what everyone is saying is true. By the time I bought a crank and bearings, all the gaskets, rings, fluids and my time, I had spent almost 800 dollars. I have seen reman 350 long blocks for around a 1000 to 1200. They take all the same external parts that are on your 305, water pump alternator, powersteering pump, intake, etc. It is totally worth the extra 200 bucks for the better motor. Even if it is a reman. Most of the time they have a small warrentee. While it is not a new GM crate motor that is ideal, it has the benefit of being less expensive. Summit has a long block that is a little more than this, part number NAL-10067353 for 1419.95 then an additional 115 for shipping.
--
Lew Pratt
http://www.chevyk5blazer.com

Northwest Iowa
"Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote in message

REALLY??? SO AM I!!! Email me directly would ya?

305's are not junk, just good low power high torque engines. But as he said, replace it with a good 350 and you will be very happy. old john

in
just
more
Have you thought at all about making a 383? What do you use the truck for? The 383 will make way more power than the little wimpy 305.

Like some others have said...I would not waste any money on the 305. Buy a Goodrich 350 crate motor to replace your engine. You may have to get a new intake but that would be a minor concern.
Elbert
--
Elbert Clarke
elbert.clarke@**adelphia.net

Yes..... Then buy some Goodwrench tires to put on your truck. ;-) H

looks like i made a spelling error.... maybe you follow what I meant to say / write ..... Goodwrench.
--
Elbert Clarke
elbert.clarke@**adelphia.net

in