Rebuild time question

I am building a new engine for my 93 sub 4x4 and could use some advise. I purchased a engine out of a 89 van casting number 10054727 and am going to build it to replace the exisiting engine. My main goal is to get more
pulling power for towing my trailer. I want to get about another 80-100 hp over stock. I have talked to Summitt and they are telling me I should put in one of their rebuild kits to bump up the compression to 9.73 to 1 and then install aluminum heads with 2.02/1.60 valves. They also strongly reccomend an aftermarket intake.
Anybody out there got better advise? I kind of feel like they are telling me this just to get me to buy alot of parts not necessarily the best way for me to go. I will do what they say if I have too its just alot more $$ than I really want to spend...
Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks, Pat.
stay away from the big valve (2.02) heads, while being great in a car or other light vehicle, they hurt low end torque production, which is what your truck needs. if money is an object, go to the junk yard and find a set of vortec heads, they are 1.94's that flow infinately better than the sucky heads the TBI's got. you'll need a GMPP TBI for Vortec heads intake ( I think Edelbrock also makes one). add a good set of headers (Thorley Tri-Y's come to mind) and you should be at least 1/2 way to your HP boost. anything else is going to cost alot more. if money is no object, buy the edelbrock performer package (heads, intake, headers, SFI conversion, cam). Edelbrock's been around along time and is very reputable. they claim an 85HP gain.'
HTH, -Bret

hp
for
than
I think thats a little high on compression... you certainly want to be able to burn regular street gas.
The concept with truck motors is to go with torque... So the idea is to make your power in the lower rpms where possible. I would get an eldebrock performer intake (they make one for TBI) I have one on my 92 K1500 pickup... You would more than likely be fine with a good set of heads with smaller valves, what you'll need to watch is that your heads match your intake... You just can't swap in vortec heads without the right intake manifold, and then it has to match your fuel system too. Go with a mild "torquer" cam... there are a number of people who make cams for truck applications. Overall your best bet is to stay milld on the compression, spend your money on the heads and some good forged pistons. Keep in mind with engine building its a team concept. A set of 3.73 gears would also be a good idea in the rear end. Torque is genearlly made in the lower rpm ranges..
On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 20:39:31 -0500, "Pat Vickers"

--
Elbert Clarke
snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

I will agree with doc that with 9.7 you will get better gas milage running a better octane. And I know quite a few 4x4's that are pretty high compression. a buddy just finished a blazer with 13:1. of course he will never be able to afford to drive it on the road it does great at mud drags.