Refurbiishing a Dana 60 rear diff.

I was looking through Jeggs at the ring & pinions.

They have some extreme drag racing set ups. This sounds like the perfect setup for an extreme rock rig, right? Able to handle extreme stress, torque, etc. But it says not for street use. I was wondering if anyone could think why? I could only think that they are straight cut, not helical cut, and louder?

I also saw a ring/pinion & refurb kit. Can't remember off the top of my head about what it cost, maybe about $200.00 or so. Does anyone have experience with these "kits" and what did you think?

So far I have had no problems tearing apart quite a bit of it. I still haven't gotten the pinion out (no impact gun yet) and the carrier is still together. But the wheel bearings were very easy to get too.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

The gears are not street rated because they are soft. Street gears are harder and therefore break when shock loaded. If you never changed gears in a Dana 60, you're in for a real bad time:) One of the most difficult rear axles to work on. Check out any truck service manual, Ford, Dodge or Chevy. They all used the Dana 60 at some point.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I like this guys site, he has good technical info. Randy's Ring and Pinion.

Jay

Thanks for the input on the racing gears. Any opinion on the refurb kit (it was meant for street use).

And...

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

I can't pass up a company that demeans women! Pissa!!!!!

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Amen...Dana axles are not what I'd consider a good axle to start with if you've never rebuilt diffs before. I never liked working on them.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Suppose your first tranny R&R shouldn't be in a dirt drive way with a 14" floor jack that goes up about 10" huh? Always need a challenge!

GMC Greml>

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Naw...challenges are for you DIY'er's. For me, I'm now quite content to either do it the easy way, or leave it to someone else.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thata boy! Lazy is good, but lethargic is better.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

The wife will say that I'm both. Especially when it comes to yard work.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I'd hike but I'd rather build my truck to go where I want. As for yard work, I think the "hay" look for grass is all the rage.

GMC Greml>

Reply to
GMC Gremlin