Removing power steering pump bracket on 1990 K1500

Anyone have experience removing the power steering pump bracket on a 1990 Chevy K1500? I am trying to install headers on my truck but the power steering pump bracket on the driver's side blocks the removal of the manifold.

Do you have to remove the whole pump to move that bracket or can the bracket be removed some other way (only have a Hayne's manual that is no help!)

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Urbin

According the the directions that came with both of my Gibson and JBA headers, that bracket has to be cut in two unless the power steering pump is yanked. Cut specifically at the top of the concave arc of the bracket. I used a Sawzall with a metal-cutting blade, which ended up breaking, and then a hacksaw to finish it off. Once you install the headers you can weld the two bracket pieces back together, leave the pieces separate (as I have done temporarily), or buy and install a new bracket when the headers are installed.

If you have access to a power steering pump puller you could pull it and leave the bracket be. That's all I could think of hope this helps.

Reply to
Tzihuac

Been a while since I did this on mine, but I think the pump is bolted to the bracket and then the pump/bracket are bolted to the main aluminum bracket. I could be wrong, but I think this is how my '90 K1500 was.

On the note of your headers, I had to make a spacer for mine. I still have a decent photo of it that shows the headers installed, power steering pump bracket and spacer I mentioned. If the email address in your post is not valid and you want to see a photo, drop me a line to snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net and I'll get it for you there. Otherwise, I'll try to send it to the email in your post.

Snowman

Reply to
Snowman