removing visor for more MPG?

Page 1 of 2
I've got a Lund cab visor on my 1991 Z71. I've been told by several people that pulling it will get me 2 or 3 mpg on the highway (which is most of my
driving). I can attest to its wind resistance, as if its windy, the truck gets pushed all over the road.
I'm looking to get as many MPG out of this old girl as I can. Its running absolutely perfect (305 ci). The only thing ailing is a rotted muffler thats "huffing"....
is it true that these visors really hurt your mpg that badly?
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 01:52:08 GMT, "Hamilton Audio"

Yes. I won't even buy a truck that has been drilled to mount one of those plactic abortions. -- Regards Gordie
so you're saying that it does have a noticeable effect?? and I think they're fibreglass :) :)
I'm going to test it this week. one week with it, one without it. 2-3 mpg should be noticeable!!

people
my
truck
running

Only noticed a small difference on the two trucks I put them on. less than 1/2 mpg. Was going to put one on my wifes 94 but it already has a good bug deflector on it and the two would not get along very well.
And if you are so worried about fuel mileage you DO NOT WANT A TRUCK. I drive a big conversion van because I want to drive it and I don't really care what mileage it gets. But I check it once in a while to see if something is wrong.
--
Steve

"Hamilton Audio" < snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca> wrote in message

I've got a bug deflector on too :)

Correction...I'm not worried ABOUT fuel economy, I'm worried that it COULD BE BETTER. I accept the fact that a large 4x4 vehicle with a V8 will be less efficient with fuel than say your average 4 cylinder car. But I can't pull a boat, load up a box or plow snow with a Hon-Duh either :)
Initially, I thought I saw a drop in my fuel economy,.and thats why I'm asking all the questions... SO THERE. :) :)
lates,
your truck most likely is just as EFFICIENT as a honda...... the honda probably gets 30 MPG weighing about 2000lbs or so (former inlaws had a civic wagon that weighed 1600lbs) and your truck probably gets in the range of 14 MPG weighing 5000lbs +. looking at it this way, your truck is moving 2.5 times the weight for just over twice the fuel.
-Bret

efficient
snow
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 23:55:31 GMT, "Hamilton Audio"

Fiberglass IS plastic after you get past the rock wool part.
I drilled a truck for one. The mileage wasn't why I got rid of it. It hums when you drive (makes you crazy). The handling in the wind changed and I live 1/2 hour out of town by highway. The worst part was those little birds that play chicken with you in the dark of the morning at this time of year. After pulling two dead birds out of the visor the same day I took it off and that is that.
No more plastic do-hingies on my truck. -- Regards Gordie
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 21:27:28 -0400, The Nolalu Barn Owl

I almost forgot. The morning dew dripped right in front of my eyes off that stupid visor. Yes it was a Lund with the clearance lights and the air hole gimmics. You have to drive with your hand on the wiper control for miles when that happens. The windshield washer doesn't hit the windshield any more. Something happended to the wind currents in front of the windshield to make the washers piss out at the base of the windshield. Had to come to a full stop to use the washers.
-- Regards Gordie

Mine does the same thing!!!! I even replaced the pump (cheap to do) cause I thought the pump was getting weak :) Man, what you learn when you ask...
Just adjust the nozzles to spray higher... If you look in the instructions it actually is in there somewhere about this problem.
--
Steve

"Hamilton Audio" < snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca> wrote in message

Worked at stop lights and when doing city speeds but I spend my time on the highway and the pump simply cannot compete with the wind turbulance created by the visor. I don't like the ones that pipe to the wiper arms as they waste lots of fluid but they would have done the job under those circumstances. -- Regards Gordie
WASTE FLUID??? Spraying the fluid directly onto the windshield instead of through the air where a strong wind can blow it everywhere except the windshield??? YEA! I SEE YOUR POINT!!! ~~NOT~~

I disagree. It's water. Who cares? Piss in the reservoir if you run out. I have both, they both work just as well. I don't give a damn either way.

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 22:36:50 GMT, "KJ"

Here in the Great White North it is windshield washer antifreeze that we use and when you run out the cost is not the main problem, availability is. A small squirt at low speed with the old style pisser does an adequate job but to do the same job with the arm tube type requires that you 'flood' the windshield for the entire sweep of the wiper.
Life is a trade off and also a compromise. The old style does a poorer job at higher speed but the fluid lasts longer and in slushy conditions that is important. Sometimes you have to wash after every second or third car and every transport truck goes by - no joke!
When I fitst had the tube type through the arm I loved them but you can go through 1 1/2 or more 4 litre jugs of fluid every 5 trips to town and back and if you run out you can't see a damned thing.
Anyway, like what you want, I just voiced my opinion on the visor and tried to communicate why I made my conclusion.
-- Regards Gordie
Well I am in the Midwest and we have our fair share of shit here too. I have used less w/ the arm squirters than with the distance shooters. In town at low speeds isn't where the washers will be used the most. Out on the road at speed and when vehicles go by is when, just like you said. So basically you unintentionally supported my side! As for flooding the windshield, maybe if you lay off the button you can save the 99cents a gallon!!!

you remind me of an absolute idiot kj if attitude was power you might have some potential if it was brains that was power you would be a black hole (posted from new hampshire)

Frank,
Well said! He is a bit of a punk ain't he?
Doc

I agree...