removing visor for more MPG?

I've got a Lund cab visor on my 1991 Z71. I've been told by several people that pulling it will get me 2 or 3 mpg on the highway (which is most of my driving). I can attest to its wind resistance, as if its windy, the truck gets pushed all over the road.

I'm looking to get as many MPG out of this old girl as I can. Its running absolutely perfect (305 ci). The only thing ailing is a rotted muffler thats "huffing"....

is it true that these visors really hurt your mpg that badly?

Hamilton Audio

Yes. I won't even buy a truck that has been drilled to mount one of those plactic abortions.

-- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

so you're saying that it does have a noticeable effect?? and I think they're fibreglass :) :)

I'm going to test it this week. one week with it, one without it. 2-3 mpg should be noticeable!!

Hamilton Audio

Ham,

And what do you purport to do with the gaping holes in your roof? Suppose it rains? Why don't you just by a Hon-duh Hybrid if you're so dammed worried about fuel ecomony?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Only noticed a small difference on the two trucks I put them on. less than 1/2 mpg. Was going to put one on my wifes 94 but it already has a good bug deflector on it and the two would not get along very well.

And if you are so worried about fuel mileage you DO NOT WANT A TRUCK. I drive a big conversion van because I want to drive it and I don't really care what mileage it gets. But I check it once in a while to see if something is wrong.

Reply to
Steve W.

Fiberglass IS plastic after you get past the rock wool part.

I drilled a truck for one. The mileage wasn't why I got rid of it. It hums when you drive (makes you crazy). The handling in the wind changed and I live 1/2 hour out of town by highway. The worst part was those little birds that play chicken with you in the dark of the morning at this time of year. After pulling two dead birds out of the visor the same day I took it off and that is that.

No more plastic do-hingies on my truck.

-- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

Here's the deal on the Lund visor.

I've had one on nearly every truck I have ever owned (I've put them on - not the former owner). Mileage doesn't change enough to be noticable. Think about it - if the truck has that little power that a small obstacle like this part (which has air reliefs for passage) causes a mileage difference, then the truck is WAY underpowered to begin with.

As for it making noise or humming - nope. It may, if it's not tightened down right or if it's another name brand, but the Lund is a tough piece. I have learned that it will create more wind noise on the '88-98 body style trucks that do not have the "wind strips" on both edges of the windshields. Both my '90 K1500 and '90 K3500 did not have these and the wind noise increased just a bit. My current '95 has the strips and I hear no air inside, whatsoever. GM did this at some point to reduce wind noise, but not sure what year it was implemented. The noise comes from the upper front "corner" of the door where it begins to bend downward toward the cowl.

As for the guy with the bird problem - not much I can offer. I've only seen one bird stuck here, ever. And it wasn't my truck - co-worker's '89 K3500. If you're that concerned about mileage, then see Doc's comment because you are in the wrong vehicle.

I'm not trying to beat you up, just letting you know because I am a regular Lund visor user for my trucks, but not associated with them in any way other than that.

Snowman

Reply to
Snowman

I doubt you'd see much more of a gain in mpg. I also doubt it's pushing your truck around in the wind that much...otherwise it would be laying along side the road by now:-). Prolly makes a ton of noise and appears to be moving the truck. Also, it doesn't take much force up on the top of the cab to move the suspension around a tad.

You'd be surprised at a side view of the aerodynamics of a pickup. Just draw a line from the front of the hood (where a deflector would be mounted) to the top of the cab (where the windshield ends) anything inside that triangle is mostly dead air. Once it gets filled up and pressurized, it's not going to affect much. You'll always be pushing that wind load down the road. The only thing the visor will do is make that line a little steeper. Also, some claim the ports cut into some visors help to keep the air CLOSER to the top of the cab when it goes over the cab...thus actually helping aerodynamics.

Kinda like all the bs about putting your tail gate down for increase mpg...LOL Give us a report back when you remove it and run it for a few tanks.

Don

Reply to
Don

I've got a bug deflector on too :)

Correction...I'm not worried ABOUT fuel economy, I'm worried that it COULD BE BETTER. I accept the fact that a large 4x4 vehicle with a V8 will be less efficient with fuel than say your average 4 cylinder car. But I can't pull a boat, load up a box or plow snow with a Hon-Duh either :)

Initially, I thought I saw a drop in my fuel economy,.and thats why I'm asking all the questions... SO THERE. :) :)

lates,

Hamilton Audio

Its amazing how many differing opinions there are!

windshields.

I've never had a bird or noise problem. It does vibrate at speed (can see it), but thats it.

Again, not worried about the trucks relative poor mileage, I'm worried that its not as good as the truck could be. I'm a business/systems analyst by trade, and efficiency is stuck in my head. If a machine has a capacity for 10 units of efficiency and we're consistently measuring 8, can we not get better?? nuff said.

You've got a long way to go to hurt my feelings (pretty thick skin). :)

Hamilton Audio

your truck most likely is just as EFFICIENT as a honda...... the honda probably gets 30 MPG weighing about 2000lbs or so (former inlaws had a civic wagon that weighed 1600lbs) and your truck probably gets in the range of 14 MPG weighing 5000lbs +. looking at it this way, your truck is moving 2.5 times the weight for just over twice the fuel.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

My 2cents... I drive an '85 Suburban 4x4. Lund visor, no wind noise, no vibration, no birds(a few dragon flies though). The only adverse effect I have encountered is with my Rain-X treated windshield. Rain doesnt blow off like it used to before I installed the visor. So the air flow across the windshield is slowed substantially. I do like that the wipers dont 'lift' like they used to on really windy rainy days... As far as looks, I love it, as for drilling the roof, I dont like it. It adds a little shade to the inside, keeps a little of the snow off the windshield when it sits durring snow fall here in Iowa. I definatly dont like that I gotta remove it to replace my windshield since it became cracked, but as with almost everything, there will be trade offs. Like I said, my 2cents...

Reply to
Shades

I almost forgot. The morning dew dripped right in front of my eyes off that stupid visor. Yes it was a Lund with the clearance lights and the air hole gimmics. You have to drive with your hand on the wiper control for miles when that happens. The windshield washer doesn't hit the windshield any more. Something happended to the wind currents in front of the windshield to make the washers piss out at the base of the windshield. Had to come to a full stop to use the washers.

-- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

Mine does the same thing!!!! I even replaced the pump (cheap to do) cause I thought the pump was getting weak :) Man, what you learn when you ask...

Hamilton Audio

Just adjust the nozzles to spray higher... If you look in the instructions it actually is in there somewhere about this problem.

Reply to
Steve W.

Worked at stop lights and when doing city speeds but I spend my time on the highway and the pump simply cannot compete with the wind turbulance created by the visor. I don't like the ones that pipe to the wiper arms as they waste lots of fluid but they would have done the job under those circumstances.

-- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

WASTE FLUID??? Spraying the fluid directly onto the windshield instead of through the air where a strong wind can blow it everywhere except the windshield??? YEA! I SEE YOUR POINT!!! ~~NOT~~

Reply to
Shades

Agreed. I love the in-arm wiper washers.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I disagree. It's water. Who cares? Piss in the reservoir if you run out. I have both, they both work just as well. I don't give a damn either way.

Reply to
KJ

Here in the Great White North it is windshield washer antifreeze that we use and when you run out the cost is not the main problem, availability is. A small squirt at low speed with the old style pisser does an adequate job but to do the same job with the arm tube type requires that you 'flood' the windshield for the entire sweep of the wiper.

Life is a trade off and also a compromise. The old style does a poorer job at higher speed but the fluid lasts longer and in slushy conditions that is important. Sometimes you have to wash after every second or third car and every transport truck goes by - no joke!

When I fitst had the tube type through the arm I loved them but you can go through 1 1/2 or more 4 litre jugs of fluid every 5 trips to town and back and if you run out you can't see a damned thing.

Anyway, like what you want, I just voiced my opinion on the visor and tried to communicate why I made my conclusion.

-- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl