removing visor for more MPG?

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 13:19:19 GMT, "Frank Ross"

I'm 51 years old and you think I am a punk :) The gentleman asked for an opinion. I gave one. Simple. You want to paste every toy that comes down the pipe on your truck then go for it. P.T Barnum was right. -- Regards Gordie
I think the post was to KJ!!!

Here's the deal on the Lund visor.
I've had one on nearly every truck I have ever owned (I've put them on - not the former owner). Mileage doesn't change enough to be noticable. Think about it - if the truck has that little power that a small obstacle like this part (which has air reliefs for passage) causes a mileage difference, then the truck is WAY underpowered to begin with.
As for it making noise or humming - nope. It may, if it's not tightened down right or if it's another name brand, but the Lund is a tough piece. I have learned that it will create more wind noise on the '88-98 body style trucks that do not have the "wind strips" on both edges of the windshields. Both my '90 K1500 and '90 K3500 did not have these and the wind noise increased just a bit. My current '95 has the strips and I hear no air inside, whatsoever. GM did this at some point to reduce wind noise, but not sure what year it was implemented. The noise comes from the upper front "corner" of the door where it begins to bend downward toward the cowl.
As for the guy with the bird problem - not much I can offer. I've only seen one bird stuck here, ever. And it wasn't my truck - co-worker's '89 K3500. If you're that concerned about mileage, then see Doc's comment because you are in the wrong vehicle.
I'm not trying to beat you up, just letting you know because I am a regular Lund visor user for my trucks, but not associated with them in any way other than that.
Snowman

"Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> wrote in message

Its amazing how many differing opinions there are!

I've never had a bird or noise problem. It does vibrate at speed (can see it), but thats it.

Again, not worried about the trucks relative poor mileage, I'm worried that its not as good as the truck could be. I'm a business/systems analyst by trade, and efficiency is stuck in my head. If a machine has a capacity for 10 units of efficiency and we're consistently measuring 8, can we not get better?? nuff said.

You've got a long way to go to hurt my feelings (pretty thick skin). :)
I doubt you'd see much more of a gain in mpg. I also doubt it's pushing your truck around in the wind that much...otherwise it would be laying along side the road by now:-). Prolly makes a ton of noise and appears to be moving the truck. Also, it doesn't take much force up on the top of the cab to move the suspension around a tad.
You'd be surprised at a side view of the aerodynamics of a pickup. Just draw a line from the front of the hood (where a deflector would be mounted) to the top of the cab (where the windshield ends) anything inside that triangle is mostly dead air. Once it gets filled up and pressurized, it's not going to affect much. You'll always be pushing that wind load down the road. The only thing the visor will do is make that line a little steeper. Also, some claim the ports cut into some visors help to keep the air CLOSER to the top of the cab when it goes over the cab...thus actually helping aerodynamics.
Kinda like all the bs about putting your tail gate down for increase mpg...LOL Give us a report back when you remove it and run it for a few tanks.
Don

My 2cents... I drive an '85 Suburban 4x4. Lund visor, no wind noise, no vibration, no birds(a few dragon flies though). The only adverse effect I have encountered is with my Rain-X treated windshield. Rain doesnt blow off like it used to before I installed the visor. So the air flow across the windshield is slowed substantially. I do like that the wipers dont 'lift' like they used to on really windy rainy days... As far as looks, I love it, as for drilling the roof, I dont like it. It adds a little shade to the inside, keeps a little of the snow off the windshield when it sits durring snow fall here in Iowa. I definatly dont like that I gotta remove it to replace my windshield since it became cracked, but as with almost everything, there will be trade offs. Like I said, my 2cents...

visor doesn't seem like it can be all that benefitial to keep the sun down aside from all of the problems associated. Is your windshild not tinted at the top?
Owl, you should feel complimented that we think your a "punk"
KJ, New Hamshire right? Does it get cold there too? Because, I have heard of piss freezing. Have you ever seen a washer tank with ice in it? I took a friend from Florida snowmobiling- he has seen it.
Don, I was waiting for the tailgate theory. They sell tailgate nets that look really cool especially in hunter orange. Too, everyone will be able to see the oil jugs and beer cans swirling around the box. One may not get a ticket for littering.
I remember as a kid cloths-pinning a joker to my bike that would rub my spokes. The faster I pedaled the louder my engine.
And, It's good to know that solvent is still cheaper than gas.
This has been fun. Just a little humor to break it up.
BTK
Done tastefully, add-ons don't take away from the clean and neat appearance of a truck. There are people around here that the first place they stop is the local accesorizer and have every damn thing put on their brand new truck that will fit. That is obnoxious!!! A visor is subtle and it does help keep the sun out. The top of my windshield IS tinted and all the factory tinting on the top of windshields SUCKS! The visor at least gives me an hour or so of westbound travel before I need to use the interior visor. It's a preference! NOT an issue.
<notavailable.com (btk)> wrote in message

we call the over decorated ones "J. C. Whitney Specials" here.... just how many lights and things Do ya need? *g* (never tried a visor, but i put Weathertech deflectors on the front windows of both trucks)

those trucks got drug through the tacky aisle with the crap magnet on.
-Bret

very good, Bret... i'll remember that one.... *g*
Same here...That is catchy!