Repair Windshield scratch

My daughter let her windshield wiper scratch her windshield with out telling me to replace. This is her 99 Bug. Not real deep but you can barley feel in.

How do you fix? What do your buff with?\ Thanks Dave

Reply to
Say itaintso

Unless there is something I am unaware of there remains nothing that will buff out a scratch in glass without leaving scratches of its own.

-- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

Does she have collision with Full glass ? Not much you can do about the scratch otherwise ;)

Happy Holidays

Reply to
Martin Riddle

While it is possible to buff glass the end result is not worth bothering with. The glass will end up wavy and vision will be very distorted. Best solution is to have her replace the windshield and demonstrate what it costs to ignore "small" problems.

Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
Larry

The sheetmetal shop here on base buffs the canopies all the time. they use a polishing paper but I am not totally sure of the grit. I know it is over

Reply to
sidewinder

I've not tried it for myself, but have heard that Brass-o (or something like that) will help remove scratches in glass. Don't remove the glass, as a factory seal is unmatched. Even the glass replacement shops will tell you this.

There are also companies that do repairs if glass is badly scratched and you're looking at a fraction of the cost of a new windshield. Not to mention that they don't need to remove the glass from the vehicle to do it.

Try this and see if there is a store close to your location

Snowman

Reply to
Snowman

My question is: If it wasn't enough to bother her, or she has shown she is willing to live with it - why not leave it? AFAIK there are no laws against scratched glass, just broken. And at least around here, your windshield can be cracked as long as your wiper doesn't pass over it.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

not sure of this one, but badly scratched glass can be a hazard when driving into the sun. Very difficult to see.

Snowman

Reply to
Snowman