Replace 305tbi with 350carb?

I have an 88 fs 1500 with a 305 with tbi. Is it possible/practical to replace it with a 70s 350 carbed engine? If so, do you just throw out the computer?
----------------- www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com - *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road -----------------
It takes a bypass fuel pressure regulator and if you have an Auto trans, you will need an aftermarket controller to run the lock-up. OR, you can use the long block 350 and modify the center bolt holes on the TBI intake to fit the carb heads. Possible? Yes! Practical? Depends on your abilities, tools, time, money...
If you do the swap using the carb, PLEASE let me know!!! I would like some things off the 305TBI... Basically the heads to the TBI...

"Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote in message

SWEET, Doc. That would be awesome. I want them to see if I can get more compression and bottom end out of my '88 350. I figure the heads are bad cuz no matter what I do the thing runs the same. E-Mail me when your ready...just replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .

"Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote in message

damn I just said the *exact* same thing to a different post.
-Bret

Great minds think alike my friend! You ever get those Afterburner headers?
Doc

not yet... still trying to recover from 2 1100 mile moves in 6 weeks. Back in Maine now, where I should have stayed. I did inherit about 10k in tools though through my wife's grandmother (it was her dad's stuff). a couple Chicago Pneumatic CP-734 impacts, a several air ratchets ( a CP, a snapon, and a Rodac), a cheapie air drill, a very cool IR 1/4" hex drive impact, an Atlas Copco 3/8" pistol grip impact and TONS of other stuff... I got a whole TOTE full of sockets, wrenches, and ratchets, all either Craftsman, Snap-On, S--K, or Proto. I even got an OTC engine crane and an OTC engine stand. I made out bigtime on that.
the afterburners still are on the list though, as is the vortec/ GMPP setup, a cam and a custom PROM. I just need to build some $$ back up.
-Bret
Got enough impact wrenches you would be willing to part with one?
GMC Gremlin
wrote:

compression
350
the
bolt
headers?

nah... I've only got 2 1/2" impacts one an extended anvil and the other a regular anvil CP-734. I'm pretty much obligated to not give away or sell any of the stuff... it would cause unneccessary grief from my inlaws. besides, the CP734 is only like $119 bucks at www.craftsman.com
-Bret

I know the valves would be too small for the 350, that's why I would have 'em opened up for a set of 1.94/1.60 valves. I want the small chambers and intake runners for more bottom end Torque.

"Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote in message

I would like to have em before snow hits up here in NW Iowa... Early Nov at the latest...

"Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote in message

*sigh* Alright...

Sucks because I have a 305 carbed engine and I'm in NH. :-(
GMC Gremlin
"Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote in message

possible/practical
throw
get some of the "Iron Eagle" heads.... or other aftermarket performance head. 305 heads are not worth screwing with.
the vortec heads are a good idea from what I've read, but like they say you have to get the intake that matches them.
On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 12:33:05 -0500, "Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote:> I know the valves would be too small for the 350, that's why I would

--
elbert.clarke@**us.army.mil
remove the ** to email
"Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote in

----------------- www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com - *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road -----------------

get a set of Vortec heads off a '96 up 1/2 ton truck (3/4 and up got a slightly different set of heads that don't flow as well, due to differences in the exhaust seat), a vortec compatible intake w/ a TBI to spreadbore adapter (early 454 TBI motors had them) or the GMPP TBI for vortec manifold. and you'll be up about 40hp on a standard 350 TBI for about the same money as a used TBI motor.
changing the rear main isn't all that hard if you've got the time and tools to do it.
-Bret