replace rear end

I just bought a 97 Chevy 3/4 6.5 diesel (2500) A mechanic going over the thing for me has informed me the rear end is shot. He found grindings in it and purchased a replacement from a dealer. This is my
first pickup truck and my first experience with anything like this other than normal repair sort of stuff. The previous owner told me he replaced the trans and the injection pump within the last 18 months. I had the truck exactly two days when it made a loud thunking sound that made the truck actually shudder when backing up or cornering. Any ideas please. Is this gonna be REAL expensive Thank you

have some "metal flake" to the lube. so the questions that jump to mind are, How big were the "grindings"? Was the diff making noise? How many miles on the odometer? Was it a posi trac diff? did it have the correct fluid in it? Was there excessive play in the axle bearings? Carrier bearings? Pinion bearings? What do you mean by "purchased a replacement from a dealer"? does this mean he went to your local GM Goodwrench house a purchased a brand new rear axle assembly? If so Ouch. Whitelightning
"captainlarry" wrote in message "I just bought a 97 Chevy 3/4 6.5 diesel (2500) A mechanic going over the thing for me has informed me the rear end is shot. He found grindings in it and purchased a replacement from a dealer. This is my first pickup truck and my first experience with anything like this other than normal repair sort of stuff. The previous owner told me he replaced the trans and the injection pump within the last 18 months. I had the truck exactly two days when it made a loud thunking sound that made the truck actually shudder when backing up or cornering. Any ideas please. Is this gonna' be REAL expensive Thank you"
If it is non locking rear end a new chunk ( the rear end internals reassembled) purchased from a dealer then the cost could be around 219.00 dollars to 384.00 dollars according to how much the mechanic marks it up. GM direct shows the price for 219.00 plus shipping. I just changed the rear end and transmission in my play toy. I purchased it from locally in Louisiana at a GM parts supply place in Houma, LA. The part can be found at http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ also.
Sarge
Sarge wrote:

"cewillis" wrote: > Sarge wrote: > > >"captainlarry" wrote in message "I just bought a 97 Chevy 3/4 > 6.5 diesel > >(2500) A mechanic going over the thing for me has informed me > the rear end > >is shot. He found grindings in it and purchased a replacement > from a dealer. > >This is my first pickup truck and my first experience with > anything like > >this other than normal repair sort of stuff. The previous > owner told me he > >replaced the trans and the injection pump within the last 18 > months. I had > >the truck exactly two days when it made a loud thunking sound > that made the > >truck actually shudder when backing up or cornering. Any > ideas please. Is > >this gonna' be REAL expensive Thank you" > > > >If it is non locking rear end a new chunk ( the rear end > internals > >reassembled) purchased from a dealer then the cost could be > around 219.00 > >dollars to 384.00 dollars according to how much the mechanic > marks it up. > >GM direct shows the price for 219.00 plus shipping. I just > changed the rear > >end and transmission in my play toy. I purchased it from > locally in > >Louisiana at a GM parts supply place in Houma, LA. The part > can be found at > >http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ also. > > > >Sarge > > > > > > > > > What do you think the price would be for a new positrac > carrier assembly?
Ive got a few more answers; more information. Rather than speculating I did what I should have done 3 days ago. I called the mechanic and ASKED him; how much is this costing me?. So far, about $600. Parts for the pumpkin ( I thought this was a truck not a coach ) came from a dealer and bearings from somewhere else. The mechs explanation for all this is as follows: The dealer said this combination was the second one hed sold that week. The mechs approach was that there was a design flaw that caused a whole big bunch of these things to go belly-up and if he were to buy one from the junk yard he might be doing this whole job over again in 3 months. He knows me well enough to know that Im an awful jumpy, anxious guy when it comes to my vehicles not running right. Im of the opinion that the mech is figuring to give me peace of mind; hell do the job extra right, once and for all by putting new parts that DONT have this design flaw in them. He said the whole rear end was just loaded with little metal parts and it appeared that the mechanism had been running dry for quite a while. Maybe poor maintainence, maybe poor design. No matter. It was shot. Hes got the old parts and even took pictures of the old mechanism to show me. Should be ready this coming week ( AHEM! about time! but cant rush a good thing ) and all the other stuff that was wrong with it will be fixed, too! Pittman arm, horn, four ways, trailer light plug, brake controller. fuel line sender something leaking, etc. The only thing Ill have left to do is have the drivers side arm rest fixed. Unfortunately, hes not an upholstery man. OK guys. Have at me. I just feel that a) I know my limitations, b) fixing things like this is not among those limitations, c) this guy seems trustworthy and talented and d) it werent no good to me the way it was. You are all allowed to have a shot at me for being a) gullible or b) a wimp. Last, Im going to be towing my horses around with this vehicle. No Im not rich because I have horses. Just the opposite. EquusKeepusBrokus! But maybe having this thing fixed for a little too much money will give me one less thing to worry about when Im out on the freeway with the nags. How much is serenity worth? But thanks to everyone who offered advice/insight/observations. Update when I get it back and actually drive it Larry
captainlarry wrote:

carrier SHOULD cost. (I can't seem to use the gmpartsdirect site 'cause I don't know the part number.) In my opinion, if your mechanic is rebuilding a poisitrac differential, with new parts, for anywhere near $600, it's a hellova deal.

I think they run in the $600 to $700 range. no GM but something like a Eaton posi unit.
--
Elbert Clarke
elbert.clarke@**adelphia.net