Replacing ball joints, pitmen arm & idler arm

I have a 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe that needs new upper ball joints, pitmen arm & idler arm due to ware. Our local mechanic wants $550 to do the job but I'm thinking about taking the project on myself. I have a full mechanic shop at my disposal (Military DIY shop on post), but am not sure if I'm getting in over my head. Whether I do the replacement myself or not, is there anything else I should be thinking about replacing while under the truck? Where can I find a good resource for step-by-step instructions on doing the job myself? Is Chilton's worth getting, or is there a better guide? Last but not least, should I be taking on this job myself, or is it worth paying the $550 to have the professionals do it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to
SMB1913

If that $550.00 includes parts, labor, guarantee, and alignment and he is using GOOD parts (MOOG) it's not too bad. I would check the lower joints and the end links if it has a sway bar and take a look at the shocks as well.

If you plan on keeping the truck I would buy the factory books for it. Much better than the rest BUT not as cheap.

Reply to
Steve W.

pitman arm you need a pitman arm puller to remove it and a pickle fork for the other end, the idler arm you only need a pickle fork, but the ball joints is a job best left to someone who knows what they are doing so get some help or have some one do it for you $500 dont sound to far off but call around car repair is like shopping everyones price is differnt

Reply to
brian70