replacing computers in trucks

Has anyone ever had to do this? Why do they not sell the "prom" with a refurbished computer at an auto parts store? What if the "prom" is
what is wrong with it? How can you tell? Can they be tested? If so, how? Can they be seriously damaged if I were to replace one in a vehicle that had opens or shorts in any under the hood wiring?? I know this is a lot of questions.
Hatt
Same as computers, the software is copyrighted, in this case the software is burned / flashed on a rom instead of on a hdd or cd-rom.

Huh?

with
is
so,
The ECM/PCM will tell you if the PROM is bad, by either a Checksum or CRC test.
Cheers