Replacing rear speakers

I just bought a 2000 Blazer ZR2. Love the truck but the rear speakers are kind of sad. I have some 6 x 9 Cerwin Vegas I would like to replace them with (if they will fit) but have no idea how to get at them.
I would also like to installl some subwoofers but don't want to suck up any of the cargo room with the big boom box I had in the trunk of my car that was destroyed in an accident.
Any suggestions where I can mount or install some subwoofers without losing any storage space and do I need the big box to provide the accoustics provided by the subs? I don't have to thump my way down the highway or cause my neighbors windows to rattle, I just like the bass and the full rich sound provided by the subwoofers.
I thought of using the storage compartments by the back seat but I like the large storage space in those compartments and may have to use one for the amp anyway.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Don