Replacing Vaccum Lines

I have a 99 GMC jimmy, and I just bought a TCCM for the Transfer Case, well I put it in, all is well, when I tried to engage the 4 wheel drive, the lights on the dash just blinked, when I pressed 4LO, it put the rear end into low range, but no power from the front end. So I started looking into the vaccum control valve under the battery, well I traced the vaccum lines back and someplace around the drivers side were they hook together their all dry rotted. What size hose will I need to replace these?

Reply to
Adam

....I'd assume the same size that was already on there.

Cut off a short piece of the old vacuum line and take it to a parts store of your choosing. They should be able to match it.

~jp

Reply to
Jon Pickens

yeah I tried that, but so much of it, I mean from the drivers corner under the hood, back down around the throttle body inside the plastic cover is soo dry rotted I dont even know how its holding vaccum now. I replaced a small piece that was on the other end of a connector that connected to a hose going down into the left fender, and that made the front end kick in.

Reply to
Adam

Well, it sound like you're on the right track. Vacuum issues can be quite a pain to fully eliminate, but yet can affect so much of how your vehicle performs.

Personally, I'd replace any vacuum lines that you haven't already. And while you're replacing rubber, do the belts and hoses while you're at it.

For a little time and a little money, you'll have confidence that there's one less thing to worry about. Plus it's good to replace them before they get to the point where they MUST be replaced. That's not a good place to be at 3am.

~jp

Reply to
Jon Pickens

Yeah, not a good place to be at 3am or in the middle of a field were you just went muddin trying to click on the 4 wheel drive, couldnt afford a vaccum failure there.

Reply to
Adam