replacing window on 85 Chevy Truck

I have an 85 Full size chevy truck, I need to replace the drivers window, how much of a job is this? and does it have rivits or bolts holding the glass in? I have power windows if it matters

Bolts. And not too much of a job if you take your time and follow the manual...
Get a manual for your truck! Its a MUST...

Oh yeah that was gonna be the next thing I done.
"Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote in message

Adam wrote:

I've had to do this recently. Not a big deal, but you'll have to remove the vent window to do it. I had to replace the vent on the passenger side once before, and I did have to cut the weatherstripping to get it out.
The easiest way to do it is to cut up in the corner so that it still does a good job of sealing the window when it's rolled up.
~jp
So I have to take out the vent window to replace the main window?

Adam wrote:

Yeah, but it's not a big deal...
You pop off the door panel first obviously. You'll need a cheap door panel-removal tool, available at any parts store. You may want to grab a pack of the plastic fasteners that hold the door panel on, as they're usually damaged when removing the panel. They're cheap...
Then get to working on the vent window. Look on top of the door, where it angles down toward the firewall. You should see a couple of Philips head screws. Those are holding in the top of the vent window frame. There's also a bolt in the door you'll need to remove. A socket with an extension makes that easy.
You may have to work the vent window assembly back and forth a bit to get it out, but it's not too hard once it's loose. Keep the main window assembly rolled all the way down during this.
Then remove the remnants of the old main window, and slide the new one in. You'll again have to work the window back and forth to get it on the track properly. This may involve rolling it partially up and down to get everything aligned. Not hard, just annoying. That took just a couple of minutes.
When I had the window on the track, I didn't secure the bolts. This let it "float" a bit. It made getting the vent window back into the door much easier. Once the vent was reinstalled and secured, I tightened all the bolts on the main window.
Temporarily reinstall the window crank and check that the window moves freely and properly goes into the weatherstripping. Take the opportunity to grease the track for the window too--it'll make rolling it up and down a lot easier. This is something I forgot to do, and the replacement window is much more difficult to roll up and down because of it.
Once you've done all that, replace the plastic fasteners that hold the door panel on, and replace it.
The whole thing took me about 30-40 minutes, and that involved figuring most of it out as I went along.
Good luck...
~jp

It's not a big deal...I went to the junkyard and bought a new window then went to a local bodyshop and asked the body man what he'd charge me. He did it all in a few minutes in his lot and charged me $15.
I can do it myself in my buddies garage, just didnt know if I had to get a tool to replace the rivits with before hand.

Shouldn't be riveted at all.