This is one that you have to see to believe. I had my Rhino installed in
2001 and it is showing signs of oxidation and discoloration from rust and
other debris I kept in the bed over the years. I had some diluted Renewz AC
condenser coil cleaner accidentally spill in the bed and hosed it off a few
minutes later and noticed a nice shiny new looking area when it dried. So I
said, "what the hell" and sprayed the whole bed with Renewz and you can
literally see the oxidation and discoloration run off the liner. It would
seem that the surface oxidation is the only thing affected by this chemical.
Like anything else, use at your own risk.
I opened the link to Renews webpage and it appears from the data sheet that
the active ingredient is Sodium Hydroxide
(Lye, caustic soda), it can blind and or severely burn skin, it can produce
volatile, combustible or explosive products of chemical reactions.
NIOSH Data card link;
I'd be scared to recommend the use of such a hazardous product in the hands
of the general public who may not have the training, safety clothing and
waste recovery facilities that are required in industry.
What are the properties of the reaction products of Renews AC coil cleaner
with the oxidized liner?
Do you think it should be just washed off with a water hose onto the yard
where kids, dogs and cats walk crawl and roll around?
Just try entering Sodium Hydroxide in a Google search to see how hazardous
this stuff can be.
Sure, I would agree with you and the MSDS if the Sodium Hydroxide were used
in its purest and undiluted form, but you're comparing apple to oranges when
the product is severely diluted.
Here is an MSDS for water, which, if used improperly can cause severe bodily
injury or death.
Here is another for hydrochloric acid (concentrated), a naturally occurring
and diluted chemical in the digestive tract of all mammals.
The main point being RTFL (Read The Fncking Label) and use accordingly or
before assuming the worse.
I wouldn't be scared and I did recommend its use. Of course I mentioned
using at your own risk and take no responsibility for its use or misuse.
Probably the same produced by reacting with the oxidation on a condenser
That's up to the individual user to decide, not me. In its diluted form
it's no more dangerous than car wax or antifreeze. If a person isn't capable
of properly using car wax or antifreeze they surely shouldn't be using any
off the shelf product.
No need, I'm very familiar with its uses in various household and industrial
products, including drain cleaner.
Geez, there will always be one out there in the world that has to piss on
someone's parade. I'm sorry for trying to be helpful.
Sheesh, until a few yrs ago when everyone began worrying abt
everything normal in life, lye was sold full-strength for pennies in
cans to clean drains & other gn'l uses, and housewives made it from
ashes for centuries. I find it funny that no one complains about
pumping present-day gasoline, which typically has a number of
carcinogens & off-spec aromatics, but worries about ordinary household
Spud, You better dispose of your household cleaners with ammonia. Look
up the MSDS for ammonia hydroxide, just as bad as sodium hydroxide. By
the way your drinking water contains chlorine, better not drink that
either or better yet don't open the trap and let it escape.
Absolutely not, I have been in this group for many years and have no desire
to advertise, just a desire to help the group. This was put out for the
professional people in this group that work on or restore trucks for a
living. Also, the people that work on these vehicles, especially body and
paint specialists have enough common sense and experience to handle this
product since it is far less toxic or dangerous than any of the painting
supplies they currently use.
If you are looking to purchase this chemical I would inquire with your local
HVAC contractor or HVAC supply chain. Good luck.
this has got to be one of the most asinine posts ever. THIS STUFF IS
DANGEROUS!!!!! even when you "dilute" it like the bottle says it will still
take your skin off!!! it is meant to be used by professionals for cleaning
condenser coils; not truck bed liners.
so please; for your own safety; and the safety of others..... DON'T USE
WHY don't you STFU?
Do you think we're all children?
We wouldn't be cleaning condensers, nor would most of us be "Professional
Automotive Techs" in this group, helping others, in this group.
So please, let us use our own discretion when someone posts a good idea?
Otherwise I'd have to charge my customers $199.00 to do it with the process
Speedliner uses. So would you rather me charge that price, or maybe $65.00
to $85.00 with hazardous waste disposal fees?
Thank you for understanding now!
I wouldn't get too concerned about an asshole that needs protection from his
stupidity. It is people like that we have asinine laws on the books so that
"we don't hurt ourselves".
Anyway, if you test this on a small inconspicuous area of a Line-X or
Speedliner and it works please let me know. Thanks again.
It should work:
They are all a urethane product, the only difference being that. Speedliner
is catalyzed and sprayed cold, rather than warmed like Rhino or Line-x.
So that's the only difference between the physical products. Bur Speedliner
has a much more demanding surface prep requirement than Rhino or Speed
Thanks for that idea though.
And to the idiots with malice in mind, No restorations for you!
Even though their brains are up their asses:
I doubt that their collective brains are big enough for us mere mortals to
even steam clean.
It would require a dual specializing surgeon:
gastroentorologist/Neurosurgeon to find their colorectal peanut brains with
a proctoscope, then flush them with Colytely.
A preparation made to remove stool from the G.I. Tract.
You people are really vicious SCUMBAGS!
Maybe you shouldn't wish something so harmful to others, bad karma comes
back and bites you in the ass.
In your case, most likely two fat assed trailer park inhabitants, who have
nothing better to do. Than wish evil things. On people who have reached a
little better station in life than your beer swilling, puking. Then more
beer swilling and physical abuse routine?
You must have drank this by mistake, because you keep it to clear out your
trailer sewage lines, right?
So you know first hand what it can do to idiots, but we aren't all idiots.
So please, go to rehab, then get an education. Then you too can learn the
safe handling of these chemicals as we pros do.
Thank you for trying to read this post, as I'm sure you're functionally
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:52:20 -0400, "Refinish King"
I had some AC repair done one time where the guy used this stuff to
clean my coils outside. He just sprayed it on and let it sit for
awhile, then rinsed it off onto the ground below. EGADS! I guess my
old house must be a superfund site now. Westleys Bleche-Wite tire
cleaner has caustic in it as well but it apparently doesn't hurt
anything after being diluted in the driveway with the rinse off spray.
Stop with all the alarmism. Prudent people can take care of
themselves and idiots deserve a chance to remove themselves from the
Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.