Ride quality and type of pavement?

I was thinking the same thing myself, that the vibration is so slight that even on a imperfect surface it's unnoticeable. I'm switiching out the wheels + tires this weekend for some new wheels I bought for her snow tires, so that will either rule in or rule out the wheel assembley being an issue.

Maybe the ol' driveshaft needs a balance..............

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

out

Doc,

Any chance that the pinion bearing is loose? I had an old Chevy pickup that had a front pinion bearing that was worn and caused a slight oscillation on smooth roads. I'm sure it did it on rough roads too, but you couldn't feel it.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Hello Doc,

I don't think Mike McAuley's in the outfield at all... I believe that tread pattern, tire pressure, and wheel weight (sprung weight) have much to contribute to this phenomenon on newly paved road surfaces. I would almost bet less knobby treads/smoother treads and lighter wheels (as in alloys) should provide better tire/road surface contact and, thus, less wandering. Got any you can try on the truck?

Anyhow, let us know what happens.

Regards, Franko

out

Reply to
Franko

Franko, if you read my OP you'll see it already has 16x8" Aluminum Alloy wheels and Firestone Firehawk SS20's. Can't get much lighter and smoother treaded than that! I'm going the opposite way tomorrow (for winter driving). Steel wheels with Blizzaks on all 4 corners. Wife can't drive worth a shit in the snow so I slap 4 snows and 600 lbs in the bed for snow season. Didn't make a difference last winter but this is the first year for the steel wheels, which weigh about 4 times as much as the alloys do.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Reply to
Robert Ball

What do you think? I was thinking the same thing myself, that the vibration is so slight that even on a imperfect surface it's unnoticeable. I'm switiching out the wheels + tires this weekend for some new wheels I bought for her snow tires, so that will either rule in or rule out the wheel assembley being an issue.