Ride quality and type of pavement?

Page 2 of 2

I was thinking the same thing myself, that the vibration is so slight that even on a <barely> imperfect surface it's unnoticeable. I'm switiching out the wheels + tires this weekend for some new wheels I bought for her snow tires, so that will either rule in or rule out the wheel assembley being an issue.
Maybe the ol' driveshaft needs a balance..............
Doc

Doc,
Any chance that the pinion bearing is loose? I had an old Chevy pickup that had a front pinion bearing that was worn and caused a slight oscillation on smooth roads. I'm sure it did it on rough roads too, but you couldn't feel it.
Brian
Hello Doc,
I don't think Mike McAuley's in the outfield at all... I believe that tread pattern, tire pressure, and wheel weight (sprung weight) have much to contribute to this phenomenon on newly paved road surfaces. I would almost bet less knobby treads/smoother treads and lighter wheels (as in alloys) should provide better tire/road surface contact and, thus, less wandering. Got any you can try on the truck?
Anyhow, let us know what happens.
Regards, Franko

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------030200070900060708050000 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Don't spend too much time and money on a problem caused by the road surface, not your vehicle. Many of the California highways do that in the left lane. Other two or three lanes don't do it. I had to look for it when driving Cadillac but it occurs on 98 Envoy (Jimmy) and 97 2500 HD in many sections of the highway. Truck has had two different brand tires with little change. Tweaked frame did make a big difference, took the truck to the dealer for alignment and he found frame was tweaked when a guy totaled his car on my trailer hitch. Frame was straighten which helped but didn't cure it. My son can't drive his Toy Land Cruiser in left lanes with oversize tires and 6" lift, can hardly hold the wheel it shakes so bad, no problem in the other lanes, which leads me to state that it is the pavement.
"Doc" wrote:

Maybe the ol' driveshaft needs a balance..............
--------------030200070900060708050000--
So far I've invested $0 in "solving" the problem, just spent alot of time going over chassis, suspension, driveline parts, etc. Glad to hear this happens to others. Im my 88' C1500 I can't feel a thing, but hers is pretty bad in some parts. It's really weird when you are driving along smooth as silk, then hit a new section of road and she starts vibrating............
Doc
</PRE> <BLOCKQUOTE type="cite"><PRE wrap="">This might be out of left field... but I'm wondering if it's possible that the rough road imparts enough vibration to dis-allow any resonance from building up. Whereas the smooth road DOES allow a certain resonant vibration to form at a given speed.
What do you think? </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap="">I was thinking the same thing myself, that the vibration is so slight that even on a &lt;barely&gt; imperfect surface it's unnoticeable. I'm switiching </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap="">out </PRE> <BLOCKQUOTE type="cite"><PRE wrap="">the wheels + tires this weekend for some new wheels I bought for her snow tires, so that will either rule in or rule out the wheel assembley being </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap="">an </PRE> <BLOCKQUOTE type="cite"><PRE wrap="">issue.
Maybe the ol' driveshaft needs a balance..............
Doc </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=