Been shopping for a replacement for my '98 Burb (roof rusting
through at a couple of rack mount points) and, after crossing
Toyota's FJ Cruiser, Ford's Excursion, and the Sprinter Van off
my list (I'm ergonomically challenged - need a certain amount of
head room....and only these few have it....) I'm coming back to
It'll probably be a pre-2007.
Having said all that....
I'd like to do something to reduce probability of having a second
roof rust through.
- Remove the racks - hoping that the bolts haven't already rusted
- Replace existing bolts with stainless steel
- Replace existing clips with something else - but what?
- Re-assemble using pipe fitter's anti-seize compound
on the threads
- Somehow caulk the areas around and/or in the attachment points
so that water (especially salt water from surfboards)
Anybody have some thoughts on this?
The whole concept?
What to replace the clips with?