Roof Rack Rust Prevention?

Been shopping for a replacement for my '98 Burb (roof rusting through at a couple of rack mount points) and, after crossing Toyota's FJ Cruiser, Ford's Excursion, and the Sprinter Van off
my list (I'm ergonomically challenged - need a certain amount of head room....and only these few have it....) I'm coming back to Suburbans.
It'll probably be a pre-2007.
Having said all that....
I'd like to do something to reduce probability of having a second roof rust through.
I'm thinking:
- Remove the racks - hoping that the bolts haven't already rusted fast
- Replace existing bolts with stainless steel
- Replace existing clips with something else - but what?
- Re-assemble using pipe fitter's anti-seize compound on the threads
- Somehow caulk the areas around and/or in the attachment points so that water (especially salt water from surfboards) cannot infiltrate.
Anybody have some thoughts on this?
The whole concept?
What to replace the clips with?
Caulking methodology?
--
PeteCresswell

Which Clips are you referring to on the roof rack?
-tony

Per tonycougar:

Where the bolts securing the rack penetrate the body's metal, the metal is not threaded. Instead there are steel clips around the holes that engage the bolts - at least that is my recollection.
--
PeteCresswell