RPM question

All,
Hi, I just picked up my new truck yesterday. 1996 Chevy K1500 Silverado Z71, 350 engine, automatic (4L60E I believe), not sure of the dif yet (going
to be figuring it out today, I hope). My question is regarding the tach and RPM. As I was driving it around, I was doing 75-80 on the highway and the tach said I was doing around 2100 RMP. This seems very, very low to me since to do the same in my Audi (91 200TQ), I'm doing around 3200 RPM. Is this actually possible? Or do I have an issue with the tach?
TIA and Enjoy Bill
sounds normal
larger engines don't have to rev as high to maintain speed.

--
Elbert Clarke
elbert.clarke**@us.army.mil

unless your audi is a v-8, it sounds about right... the fewer the pistons, the higher the revs/red line... 2100 does sound low at 75 mph tho (we're not talking metric here, right?) i'd think that 2100 would be at about 65 or 70 mph?
probalby has low (numerically) rear gears
I had one a couple years ago that turned 1600 at 60 in 4th, it had 2.73's

(going
and
That's the benefit of Overdrive.
Cheers

(going
and
Sounds just about right, same as my 95 pu
Thank you everyone who responded. I'm still kind of amazed at it, but I'll just enjoy the fact that if it was 3000 RPM on the highway, I'd get a lot worse gas mileage. On that topic, what kind of gas mileage can I be looking at for this truck? I filled her up as soon as I picked her up, haven't had to fill it again yet.
Thanks again. Bill

the
Is
My 99 K2500 gets around 14 MPG traveling down the highway at 75 MPH with the tach @ 2500 RPM.

Silverado
tach
me

Silverado
tach
me
You should get around 15 for intown driving 17-18 on the interstate(depending on how fast you drive).
bill wrote:

Sounds normal, and like you're running 3.73's... :)
-marc
Sounds right..........mine is a 95 Z71 5.7 auto and at 70 mph the tach is around 1750 rpm.......2.73 rear end.....180,000 miles and keeps on ticking! MRT

(going
and
Mark & Sharla Thompson wrote:

Barely broken in. My 95 has 216,000 miles & doesn't tick at all!