S-10 Blazer, Key will not turn...

Hey guys, here are the details...

1997 S-10 Blazer

I drove it Friday night, no problem at all. I parked it in the garage at about 1:30 AM Saturday morning. Went to use it again at about 8:30 AM Saturday morning, key won't turn in the ignition.

It's as if I parked the car with a hard turn and the ignition lock is engaged. So, I rock the wheel back and forth while turning the key and still nothing. Note, I parked the car with the wheels straight, so the ignition lock was NOT engaged until I rocked the wheel back and forth. The car is definatly in PARK.

Thought maybe the battery was dead. Hooked it up to my other car with jumpers and still nothing. The ignition will not turn. I hooked my multimeter up to both batteries. With the GOOD car running and jumpers attached, I am getting about 13.8 V. With the BAD car not running and jumpers attached, I'm getting about 12.2 V. Although low, this doesn't seem like it would be enough to not allow the key to turn.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Brian Tobin

Sounds like the tumbler part of the switch failed. Having a dead battery will NOT cause the key to not turn, for ANY reason...

Reply to
Mike Levy

Dead battery shouldn't make any difference to the ignition cylinder. It is entirely mechanical. Try putting the correct key in,then take a hold of the shift lever and move it up/down some while turning the key, the park interlock could be worn a bit and not allow the cylinder to turn.

Reply to
Steve W.

"Brian Tobin"

key won't turn in the ignition.

the battery was dead.

i had a similar problem when my battery died in my 97 blazer. except i put the key in turned it to get not even a click. turned the key back to get it out......and wouldn't ya know it. it wouldn't allow the key to turn back for me to remove it. it also wouldn't let me shift out of park to neutral. so i pulled up my motorcycle and ran the booster cables. got enough power in it for the key to work and get it into neutral.

pushed it over to a parked truck in my underground reached through the grill and pulled the hood cable and boosted myself that way.

so yes a dead battery can effect how your key works. charge the battery and try it again.

Reply to
S.S.I.N.

Yes a dead battery can prevent you from getting your key out but just hook it up to a good battery and there will be no problem with getting the key out. As far as the key working the battery should not prevent it from turning

Reply to
Duck